Another G'ville Creek Trip

Pristiformes

You guys are such whizes with the bones, what do you think this partial could be?; I'm guessing a shoulder or pelvic chunk. These are from from a quick trip after work last Friday, not many teeth but a good hunk of ray mouth plate and one of the best spear points I've found in this area.

post-388-1229388485_thumb.jpg

post-388-1229388526_thumb.jpg

I briefly compared the image of the bone with some drawings of a manatee skeleton and the bone didn't seem to match or look similar to any part of a manatee. It also doesn't seem to match the dugong humerus that Harry showed. I'm guessing that if it is from a dugong, it is likely from the skull, which is different from a manatee in terms of size (slightly larger than a manatee) and probably other ways. I don't have any detail drawing of a dugong skeleton to compare it to. I might also look at the possibility of it being from a cetacean.

It's difficult to get an overall impression of the one because our image is so large that I can view it on my 22" monitor only by scrolling. You might compare it yourself to this bone:

post-42-1229455473_thumb.jpg

Closest match I've seen so far (have to use your imagination to fill in the missing pieces) so I'll go with Metaxytherium humerus for now, thanks Harry.

I have a box full of small Ocala Limestone echinoids and spines found in the feeder creeks of Hogtown, and a few Avon Park ones also; so don't let anyone tell you they can't be found here. Never found any Eocene shark teeth around here though.

Man, I'm jealous of you guys. 15 degrees below last night and we have six inches of snow.

Probably want see the ground for four months.

Nice stuff!!!

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

I briefly compared the image of the bone with some drawings of a manatee skeleton and the bone didn't seem to match or look similar to any part of a manatee. It also doesn't seem to match the dugong humerus that Harry showed. I'm guessing that if it is from a dugong, it is likely from the skull, which is different from a manatee in terms of size (slightly larger than a manatee) and probably other ways. I don't have any detail drawing of a dugong skeleton to compare it to. I might also look at the possibility of it being from a cetacean.

There are several line-drawings of dugong skulls in Hulbert's THE FOSSIL VERTEBRATES OF FLORIDA.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

There are several line-drawings of dugong skulls in Hulbert's THE FOSSIL VERTEBRATES OF FLORIDA.

Yes, I just noticed that while leafing through the book this evening. Good drawings, and they compare the manatee and dugong skulls too.

• 1 month later...

Anybody heading out in Gainesville any time soon? I would like to come down and do some creek hunting but I am a little nervous about going by myself since I have never searched in creeks in that area before.