Auspex, I Believe This One Is Right Up Your Alley

Metopocetus

Guest bmorefossil

oh my...... did you find this!!!! if you did that is awsome, when i dig out my bird bones im going to have to dig all around it see if anything else is in there

DUDE! I wondered where I'd left that; you're such a good guy to have found it and want to return it!

I'll PM you my address, and I insist on paying the postage!

OK, that didn't work...

Please give me all the site info that you're willing to freely share, and I'll try to work out an ID. It's a great fossil, and it might be an important one as well! Do you know how many groups of in-matrix associated bones I've seen from your usual hunting area? I can count them on the fingers on one foot; zero, zip, nada. (Can you tell that I'm excited)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

DUDE! I wondered where I'd left that; you're such a good guy to have found it and want to return it!

I'll PM you my address, and I insist on paying the postage!

OK, that didn't work...

Please give me all the site info that you're willing to freely share, and I'll try to work out an ID. It's a great fossil, and it might be an important one as well! Do you know how many groups of in-matrix associated bones I've seen from your usual hunting area? I can count them on the fingers on one foot; zero, zip, nada. (Can you tell that I'm excited)?

That is awesome. It was originally labeled as fish by the person who told us about it in the cliffs. I started looking at it today and took it out of the jacketing and found more bones. It was clear it wasn't fish and my new friend who took ornithology in school said the inner structure was definitely bird.

Any idea on what bones we have in the blocks...I know some vertebrae but other than that I can't put a name to them.

Any idea on what bones we have in the blocks...I know some vertebrae but other than that I can't put a name to them.

With your permission, I'll make hi-res prints; this will make it much easier to make sense of what's there, bonewise. Tell me the formation, so I can concentrate on the right list of suspects. The matrix looks less blue and more grainy than what I'm familiar with, so if you know the zone, it would help a lot. Also, I need some sizes! How long is the broken portion of bone that runs across the middle of the first pic?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

With your permission, I'll make hi-res prints; this will make it much easier to make sense of what's there, bonewise. Tell me the formation, so I can concentrate on the right list of suspects. The matrix looks less blue and more grainy than what I'm familiar with, so if you know the zone, it would help a lot. Also, I need some sizes! How long is the broken portion of bone that runs across the middle of the first pic?

That broken portion of bone is 1 7/8"

Making a hi-res print is fine. Anything to help with identification.

Check your personal messages for stratigraphic information.

WOW! that is awesome! great find! :faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint:

Im sure its got some scientific importance, im really really interested to know what type of bird it is...

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

WOW! that is awesome! great find! :faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint:

Im sure its got some scientific importance, im really really interested to know what type of bird it is...

It has a whole lot of scientific importance. I can't wait to get back into work tomorrow to talk to my boss about it.

That is amazing, this one thread I will be watching until an ID is made. This is why I love this forum, you never know what you will get to see. I'm all excited and it isn't even mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest bmorefossil
That is amazing, this one thread I will be watching until an ID is made. This is why I love this forum, you never know what you will get to see. I'm all excited and it isn't even mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im sure an id will come up pretty quick, there are only a few birds found along the cliffs, i dont really know the names of any of them thats why i turn to Auspex for help, i still have a bone to show him that i think is bird

im sure an id will come up pretty quick, there are only a few birds found along the cliffs...

This might take a while... My mind is going 'round in circles just trying to make sense of these pieces of bone in an avian context. I might be seeing scapula, and humerus, and pieces of sternum; I think that right now, I'm too tired and muddle-headed to get anywhere. I'll pick it up again tomorrow (between customers).

BTW, there are only a few birds identified from the cliffs; there is no reason to believe that there were fewer than 12 families, totaling no fewer than 150 species of birds living in that environment at that time. Each new fossil has a fairly high probability of being new to science.

Hopefully this is from the place you and I are going to check out this week :D Great find!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
This might take a while... My mind is going 'round in circles just trying to make sense of these pieces of bone in an avian context. I might be seeing scapula, and humerus, and pieces of sternum; I think that right now, I'm too tired and muddle-headed to get anywhere. I'll pick it up again tomorrow (between customers).

BTW, there are only a few birds identified from the cliffs; there is no reason to believe that there were fewer than 12 families, totaling no fewer than 150 species of birds living in that environment at that time. Each new fossil has a fairly high probability of being new to science.

thats what i was getting to, then you have the size of the bones, that could help a little. Ill look at this thing when i get home tomorrow see if i can put 1+2 and get the answer.

WOW! That is an awesome find! Congrats!

Wasn't my find, reported to the museum I work for. It was the first piece I jacketed myself though.

So it is the hip/pelvic region in the one block, and vertebrae and ribs in the other small block.

yep thats what it looks like to me, what will you guys do with it? will you try to remove everything?

I'm going to start prep under the microscope tomorrow. It is all very fragile. Most likely nothing will be removed, just cleaned as much as possible then stabilized in place.

Guest bmorefossil
I'm going to start prep under the microscope tomorrow. It is all very fragile. Most likely nothing will be removed, just cleaned as much as possible then stabilized in place.

yea thats your best option i would say, the fish and bird bones from the location can be so soft sometimes that it makes it almost impossible to work with. Well im sure you will do a great job preping it.

Try to expose any articulation surfaces (if it can be done safely). More of the supposed sturnum would be nice too.

(Pics, please? :) )

Guest bmorefossil
Try to expose any articulation surfaces (if it can be done safely). more of the supposed sturnum would be nice too.

(Pics, please? :) )

it looks like most of the places that would have been articulated are since apart, doesnt it look like that to you?

it looks like most of the places that would have been articulated are since apart, doesnt it look like that to you?

Yes, the remains are closely associated, but disarticulated.