Orthocone With Siphuncle?

sarahjane

Hi,

I'd totally forgotten I had this guy, had always hoped I could get as specific an ID as possible. I know that it helps to have the siphuncle but I still would have no idea how to tell...maybe someone else does? Should be ordovician.

post-1053-1229364590_thumb.jpgpost-1053-1229364629_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Hi,

I'd totally forgotten I had this guy, had always hoped I could get as specific an ID as possible. I know that it helps to have the siphuncle but I still would have no idea how to tell...maybe someone else does? Should be ordovician.

post-1053-1229364590_thumb.jpgpost-1053-1229364629_thumb.jpg

i have no idea what you found but it looks like a spine to me! This is an awsome find i would love to have it, nice job

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice one! I'm not much on cephalopods unless it is one of the easy ones.

Where in the cone is the siphuncle located... is it off center? From the photo, it appears to be in the center. If so, maybe something like Treptoceras??? In those, the siphuncle is bulbous like yours, with no connecting neck.

I generally label them as "othoceras", unless they are obviously endocerid or actinocerid.

Thanks, I can't believe I forgot it had this one , I was very excited when I found it... that was a good day, I also found two other little guys and a bunch of nice coral as I recall (posted my other two orthoceras from that day below). Solius - yeah, the siphuncle appears to be centered from what I can see, but how do I know if it's off-center and the exposed piece is where the siphuncle is closest to the side? You are right about it being quite bulbous, I just can't find many examples on the internet to compare it to. All I mostly find are the polished black ones. Do you know of anywhere?

Anyone know anything about my stubby little friend here (pics 2&3)? It doesn't seem to be as straight and narrow as the others I've seen. Kinda slug-like.

As always, thanks to everyone for all the awesome insight. You rock the rocks. :)

post-1053-1229443720_thumb.jpgpost-1053-1229443743_thumb.jpgpost-1053-1229443757_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Not much to go on. I would label it "orthoceras". The rock looks well indurated(hard), but you might attempt to remove some of the matrix with an engraver.

This is one that I found that only had a small area exposed. I would have probably left it in the field, but I started hitting the rock with my hammer, and this thing "popped" out.

post-179-1229460922_thumb.jpg

These were posted before and tentatively ID'd by Solius, but for the benefit os Sarahjane, here are a couple more Ontario cephalopods found this past few months. The large one (with offset siphuncle) is Actinoceras sp. from Bowmanville. The other is Orthoceras until a better ID comes along and it was found in Brechin. Both are ordovician.

post-77-1229474678_thumb.jpg

post-77-1229474729_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Orthocones are very hard to identify to generic level without slicing them up to view the internal structures. The first one does look like an Actinocerid, all the others just look like orthocones.

Kevin