So, Do I Just Start Chipping Away At This Rock?

William

This isn't a good, quality image. I didn't intend on posting it here. However, after reading through more information regarding hunting for fossils, I have a question. Every fossil I have collected, I found either in a creek on the property where this picture was taken, or basically on top of the ground as we were/are cutting trails through the property to ride ATV's. What's in the picture is a band of coal. My son loves to collect coal and wanted a picture of this. Should I break away some of the rock and starting separating it looking for fossils inside?

post-593-0-50659500-1378837938_thumb.jpg

Better fossils are more likely to be found in the layers above or below the coal.

This might be an ignorant comment/question, but I assume there's no tale tale sign as to where a fossil might be? You just pick an area and start breaking away, then separating the rocks?

There are rocks all in the creek below this picture. I suppose it makes more sense to break those apart instead of trying to get something from the vertical sections (at least to start).

Hi William, I'm pretty much a newbie but have hunted at a similar spot. What I did was look for loose fossils or pieces of rock with fossils visible below the coal and rock bed. Once I located the loose stuff I just looked closely at edges of the bedded material straight above the loose stuff. I've found what erose said to be exactly what I find in SW Indiana. Sometimes the fossil deposits may be concentrated in a small length of the bedded rock/coal. When I find loose fossils in a creek I start at that point and work my way upstream from there checking out both banks until I find the spot on the bank where they are eroding from. Sometimes they will be eroding out of the creek bottom itself. Low water levels sometimes will reveal these areas.

Check out my tools I bought from Menards, picture & description on the "collecting gear" forum :)! Think they will be OK for the soft stuff and occasional hard stuff.

Good luck in your new spot!

Edited by Jed '06

Hi William, I'm pretty much a newbie but have hunted at a similar spot. What I did was look for loose fossils or pieces of rock with fossils visible below the coal and rock bed. Once I located the loose stuff I just looked closely at edges of the bedded material straight above the loose stuff. I've found what erose said to be exactly what I find in SW Indiana. Sometimes the fossil deposits may be concentrated in a small length of the bedded rock/coal. When I find loose fossils in a creek I start at that point and work my way upstream from there checking out both banks until I find the spot on the bank where they are eroding from. Sometimes they will be eroding out of the creek bottom itself. Low water levels sometimes will reveal these areas.

Check out my tools I bought from Menards, picture & description on the "collecting gear" forum :)! Think they will be OK for the soft stuff and occasional hard stuff.

Good luck in your new spot!

Thanks, Jed. I'll take a look at the tools. It'll be fun hunting a different way.

Hi Willam,

I'm new at that kind of hunting too, learning quite a bit on Fossil Forum. I've basically been a surface hunter since I was a kid, splitting chunks of shale in the coal mines and finding fossils eroded out and loose.

What hurts when you start digging is when you accidentally fracture a great fossil:( , but it happens!

Have you hunted any spots other than your property?

That 'lintel' looks pretty solid; you could probably fracture it, but it doesn't look too splittable. You could dig above it to see whether there might be workable rock to play with. Breaking rock is one thing, controlling where and how it breaks is something else again; pick your battles :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Overburden can be burdensome. :P

Find what you can loose, then, attack the outcrop if all else fails.

There's always dynamite. :D

(That is meant as a joke. )

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Willam,

I'm new at that kind of hunting too, learning quite a bit on Fossil Forum. I've basically been a surface hunter since I was a kid, splitting chunks of shale in the coal mines and finding fossils eroded out and loose.

What hurts when you start digging is when you accidentally fracture a great fossil:( , but it happens!

Have you hunted any spots other than your property?

Sorry, Jed. Just saw your question. I hunted for fossil shark's teeth when I lived in Beaufort, SC. I used to hunt along Broad River. I actually found a large Megalodon tooth when I was a teenager, but misplaced it somewhere over the years. Over the last couple of years, I've found a few (not Megalodon, just some of what I've posted here) on my in-law's property. And recently found several more as I make it a point to try and find at least one while there on the weekends. To answer your question, the property is the only place I have really looked.