Mill Creek Run

Jeffagso2369

Would anyone like to share some specific tips for hunting the creek? Please?

Edit: Brain was in 12 diff. places. Maybe if I got the name right. Green Mill Run (or Green's Mill Run--I've seen both) in Greenville, NC it is.

Guest bmorefossil
Would anyone like to share some specific tips for hunting the creek? Please?

it would all depend on how deep the creek is, what size stones, and water clarity. do you know much about the creek?

If you are refering to greens mill run in greenville NC then the only advice i have is to find a pocket of gravel and dig deep. thats where all the good stuff is hiding. The other advice i have is wear waders and gloves this place is a dump

Guest bmorefossil
If you are refering to greens mill run in greenville NC then the only advice i have is to find a pocket of gravel and dig deep. thats where all the good stuff is hiding. The other advice i have is wear waders and gloves this place is a dump

well lets say thats where most of the fossils are, because i think someone just found a 6+ inch meg there sitting on top the gravel lol, who would have thought.

If it is Green Mill Run you're interested in, there's useful information posted on the Maryland Geological Society's web site (GMR link here).

I agree with all that's been posted so far regarding hunting there. Still, it's fascinating to turn up specimens from such different geological times.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

In 1989 the fossils would almost hop into your screen but you have to work for them now. Fortunately the fossils there are worth the effort. That creek has more variety than any other spot I have collected.

It is in my backyard so to speak, but I have never been there (much to my shame), b gut friends tell me it helps to have a friend - one shovels while one screens.. good luck!  I have seen some beautiful specimens from there.

I haven't been down there in a couple months, but last time I found my nicest Great White digging in a hole that was obviously started by someone else. Don't get discouraged if you find a lot of gravel piled up on the banks. Something is always missed. Use either a 1/4 or 1/2 inch mesh sifter. Strap some foam noodles to it to make it float. But the best advise I can give is to bring hand sanitizer. It can get pretty nasty.

A group of us GMR addicts will be in the creek tomorrow if you care to join the madness. I'm actually heading

down today, so I'll get started this afternoon and dig tomorrow also.

-greel