Finally! My Finds From Stone City Fm Are Clean!

silverphoenix

I finally got all of my finds from whiskey bridge cleaned and sorted. Each compartment contains a different species. I have found all but 3 or 4 species that are known to be found at the site. Let me know what you think--I still need to label everything, but the hard part was finding, then cleaning, then sorting XD

P1000270.jpg

P1000271.jpg

P1000272.jpg

P1000273.jpg

P1000274.jpg

P1000275.jpg

it's a pleistocene three toed horse tooth I found on the bank by my digsite

Guest N.AL.hunter

It would be nice to compare your shells with my Ten Mile Creek, Chipola Formation shells from the Miocene of Florida. I see several that look identical and a few that are similar. I have a few pictured in my gallery called Ten Mile Creek, but the photos are not too clear. My conus are smaller than yours.

...My conus are smaller than yours.

Don't feel bad, mine probably are too. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...Let me know what you think...

I think that you are the Man from Awsome! What a great site collection!!

(Anyone who "bothers" with shells has my admiration automatically, and you obviously care a lot for them).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Silverphoenix,

Great finds. It looks like you have some really nice specimens there. What are you going to use to identify your fossils. There is a really good CD available entitled "Middle Eocene Claiborne Group Invertebrate Fossils, Stone City Bluff, Brazos River, Burleson County, Texas. I think you can get it from the Paleontology Section of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society or directly from the author/publisher John H. Emerson. It is a very comprehensive pictorial compilation of the Stone City invertebrates.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

wow, great collection, i would loooooooooooooooooooooove to go to a site like that, now all you need to do is go back and find those few items to complete your collection of shells!

Thanks a lot for sharing, i really like pics like these that show such a variety of fauna

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Silverphoenix,

Great finds. It looks like you have some really nice specimens there. What are you going to use to identify your fossils. There is a really good CD available entitled "Middle Eocene Claiborne Group Invertebrate Fossils, Stone City Bluff, Brazos River, Burleson County, Texas. I think you can get it from the Paleontology Section of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society or directly from the author/publisher John H. Emerson. It is a very comprehensive pictorial compilation of the Stone City invertebrates.

JKFoam

Here's a link to a couple of pages from the HGMS publication that might help.

Whiskey bridge fossils

:o Maybe it is a bison tooth after all--I've seen a lot of horse teeth come off the brazos, but this is the first bison tooth I've found--the horse teeth are a bit more curved...

Thanks for the comments! I'm going back tomorrow, so I'll be posting more pictures soon! :D

Silverphoenix,

<< What are you going to use to identify your fossils. There is a really good CD available entitled "Middle Eocene Claiborne Group Invertebrate Fossils, Stone City Bluff, Brazos River, Burleson County, Texas. I think you can get it from the Paleontology Section of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society or directly from the author/publisher John H. Emerson. It is a very comprehensive pictorial compilation of the Stone City invertebrates.

JKFoam

I concur with JK. . . I went to Whiskey Bridge earlier this year and then ordered the CD and the book. The book (138 pages) is spiral bound with two specimens per page (109 total pages of specimens). Each page has a picture followed by Distinguishing Characteristics (appearance, shape, exterior sculpture), followed by Comments and finally Identification References.

I found it to be quite helpful as well as confusing. All in all the Emersons have done a great job. Looking at your box I think you may have more than 2 or 3 species missing!!<grin> but hey - that means you get to go back and back and back!!!

Good luck on your collecting and you have a great start - congrats

Roger