Hello, Newb Needs Help With Id

SeaGee

Greetings, first timer here

I recently found these on a trip to SW Forida. Can anyone help with a positive ID? I am especially interested in the long tooth/tusk and the bone..which i think may be a turtle digit.

thanks for any help

SeaGee

post-1092-1229439818_thumb.jpg

post-1092-1229439829_thumb.jpg

post-1092-1229439843_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I can only say that the shark tooth is an upper anterior from a snaggletooth shark, Hemipristis serra

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I'll start the ball rolling :)

The "tusk" looks like a toothed whale tooth (nearly fully rooted, too).

The phalanx (toe bone) seems awfully big for even a big turtle; I'm thinking mammal.

The shark's tooth is Hemipristis serra ("snaggletooth" shark).

More knowledgeable collectors here will confirm/deny/elaborate my feeble start :)

Welcome to the Forum!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the input all, upon further (internet) investigation into the toothed whales, i found this pic of Squalodon teeth.

Many do look very similar to mine.

thanks again

post-1092-1229453677_thumb.jpg

Greetings, first timer here

I recently found these on a trip to SW Forida. Can anyone help with a positive ID? I am especially interested in the long tooth/tusk and the bone..which i think may be a turtle digit.

thanks for any help

SeaGee

The large tooth is a peccary canine.

The smaller, selenodont tooth appears to be a deer upper cheek tooth.

The phalanx (toe bone) may be peccary also, but that's just an impression. Better images might confirm.

From other posts, you already know about the shark tooth.

Nice finds!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The phalanx (toe bone) may be peccary also, but that's just an impression. Better images might confirm.

Nice finds!

I never realized that peccary canines had all that root. I'd agree with the phalanx as being peccary, I have one very similar to it that is definitely peccary.

Nice finds!

Harry, thanks I'm with ya, that was one (of many) of my initial thoughts

it's hard to see, but in the middle pic the tooth has a flat worn edge on the enamel, i am guessing from opposing incisors rubbing

definitely a pigwhale :durr:

thanks all

SeaGee

Guest bmorefossil
I never realized that peccary canines had all that root. I'd agree with the phalanx as being peccary, I have one very similar to it that is definitely peccary.

yea after i looked at it and then at a few of my teeth im thinking that a few of my smaller squalodons are actually peccary, do the tapirs look the same?

yea after i looked at it and then at a few of my teeth im thinking that a few of my smaller squalodons are actually peccary, do the tapirs look the same?

No, 'bmore', peccary canines are quite distinctive in the way they grind, lower againt upper. Wear appears on the canines of other animals, but it doesn't produce the same flat facet.

I think that it is anticipation of these extraordinary canines (and an attitude) that makes people respectful of javelina in the southwest.

I'd like to see your squalodont teeth.

post-42-1229468898_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest