Chubutensis

Carl O'Cles

I think that part of being a "Chub" is being small (though I seem to recall hearing about a 3" one once).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

well i have seen "chubs" that are over 5" but since they were being called "chubs" im not exactly sure thats what they are, now they did have cusps but not like a normal chub would have, the larger so called chubs, 4-5" seem to have round cusp like sections at the root, now im not sure if they can be called chubs but if a tooth has cusps i can see why someone would call it a chub. I feel that chubs never got that big, when the sharks got to a certain size i feel that the tooth changed.

I have seen one that was over 5" but I agree with what bmore said about the big ones. It did have the classic chub cusps not just little rounded things...

I've seen a 5 1/2 inch tooth that the owner called a chubutensis but the root was uncommonly narrow and the "cusps" were actually folds in the enamel. It looked like the tooth had been squeezed in the jaw while it was forming.

"I feel that chubs never got that big, when the sharks got to a certain size i feel that the tooth changed."

I have been of the same mindset. It seems like chubs are juvenile megs and as I have mentioned previously there are one or two associated sets with "chubutensis" teeth toward the rear of the jaw and "megalodon" teeth in the front.

• I found this Informative 1

So what would we call a tooth with these cusps? It was found at the north end of the Cliffs here in Md. and measures 3 15/16th's. It has been called a Meg and also a Chub by people who I feel know shark teeth.

post-281-1229659203_thumb.jpg post-281-1229659214_thumb.jpg

So what would we call a tooth with these cusps? It was found at the north end of the Cliffs here in Md. and measures 3 15/16th's. It has been called a Meg and also a Chub by people who I feel know shark teeth.

I'd call it a nice tooth!

I would not call the bumps "cusps", though.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

"Chubs" go through a whole series of cusp morphology and the whole range can be found in a single strata. The north end of the cliffs is the oldest and the most logical strata to find chubs in. A lot of people would call that tooth a chubutensis because it has bumps, but as Auspex pointed out they don't fit the classical definition of cusps. I personally feel that chubutenses from the cliffs are not a separate species from megalodon but just a variation and from my observations it seems that they are seen primarily in juvenile teeth. Your tooth is really large to have those remnant cusp/bumps. That is a very nice find. I wish there was an early middle Miocene exposure along the bay to explore at what point the cusps are lost on adult teeth. I have seen some 4 inch angustidens from the Oligocene of Summerville, South Carolina that had extremely small cusps, so it is possible that cusps were begining to loose their functional importance even then.

Guest bmorefossil

post-281-1229659203_thumb.jpg post-281-1229659214_thumb.jpg

I would call it a meg

Before reading on, I personally don't have an opinion, but rather follow this argument with a learning mentality in mind, and for entertainment as well.

I was reading Kent's book last night with this thread in mind. Kent states that chubs reach 5.5" max length with cusplets (his observations), indicating in his opinion that it was a separate species and not a juvenile form of megalodon. His opinion is based on his observations of juvenile meg teeth (showing cusplets) being much smaller than the largest observed chub tooth. According to him, they coexisted throughout the Miocene. He did say though that without associated teeth discovered it's tough to make the call and it's pretty much speculation. His conclusion is that he feels that chubby is a separate species and thinks that they didn't interbreed (don't know or understand how he could come to that conclusion with only individual teeth specimens as evidence).

I wonder though, would it be possible in situations like these that they aren't separate species, but rather subspecies or even different races? You see overlap in salamander populations all the time.

Also, if we assume that a 5" chub tooth is really a juvy meg, then imagine how large that adult was and his adult teeth have yet to be discovered? :blink: It's fun to dream, isn't it? :drool:

Kevin Wilson

Anyone out there ever see a 5 or 6 inch chubutensis?

I tend to agree on the point that some large meg teeth appear to have cusps, from being squeezed in the jaw. Giving them a wrinkle that somtimes looks like a cusp.

Guest bmorefossil
I tend to agree on the point that some large meg teeth appear to have cusps, from being squeezed in the jaw. Giving them a wrinkle that somtimes looks like a cusp.

but some are much worse than others, i have seen waves on some teeth that also make the tooth look like it has 2 cusps per side lol

Here's my take on it:

I know C. auriculatus teeth get well in to the 4" 's and I know of a 5" C. angustidens (and several 4" 's, I have personally found four). We all know megs get to 7". In the evolution of the meg lineage, we know there are transitional teeth found at each step along the way, i.e. partially serrated Otodus, indescriminate Ric/Angy forms, etc.

So, if we know angy's get to 5" and megs get to 7", then in my opinion it is not unreasonable to imagine 5 and even 6" transitionals (chubutensis).

I do think it is unreasonable to expect in the adult form, the transition from cusped teeth to non-cusped teeth overnight.

What do you guys think?

HZJ

Here's my take on it:

I know C. auriculatus teeth get well in to the 4" 's and I know of a 5" C. angustidens (and several 4" 's, I have personally found four). We all know megs get to 7". In the evolution of the meg lineage, we know there are transitional teeth found at each step along the way, i.e. partially serrated Otodus, indescriminate Ric/Angy forms, etc.

So, if we know angy's get to 5" and megs get to 7", then in my opinion it is not unreasonable to imagine 5 and even 6" transitionals (chubutensis).

I do think it is unreasonable to expect in the adult form, the transition from cusped teeth to non-cusped teeth overnight.

What do you guys think?

HZJ

I couldn't agree more. There has to be large teeth with gradually fading cusps somewhere. Also as a side note, I believe the record size for an auriculatus is 5.12 inches

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

...I believe the record size for an auriculatus is 5.12 inches

A five inch 'Ric? I'd pay to see that! :drool:

Guest bmorefossil
A five inch 'Ric? I'd pay to see that! :drool:

i dont think they would let you if your going to be drooling on it like that i might.... might just.... :faint:

I'll take cash, check or money order :P

post-423-1230078726_thumb.jpg

post-423-1230078745_thumb.jpg

i often marvel at prices and find myself wondering who buys such things. i don't think i'll ever get to the point where i believe that a small bag of teeth should cost as much as a house.

Guest bmorefossil
What kind of person would sell a tooth like that?

i dont know, some people cant sell things like that or anything yet there are some people that can sell everything they find

well, let's see...if i had 500 of those $1500 teeth that so many people seem to have, would i keep them?

or maybe sell them for three quarters of a million freakin' dollars?

actually, i'm the wrong guy to ask, because i don't like high prices because they deny "regular" people the opportunities to own things...