Chubutensis

Carl O'Cles

It was a couple of years ago, but if I remember correctly, it was on his site for either $5500 or $6500, but he sold it on ebay for far less; somewhere between $ 2-3000 I think. He has also sold the record sized mako- 3 9/16"

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil
well, let's see...if i had 500 of those $1500 teeth that so many people seem to have, would i keep them?

or maybe sell them for three quarters of a million freakin' dollars?

actually, i'm the wrong guy to ask, because i don't like high prices because they deny "regular" people the opportunities to own things...

but how many times will you sell a tooth for $1500 and not many teeth that would sell for $500 are left so finding them would be hard.

but how many times will you sell a tooth for $1500 and not many teeth that would sell for $500 are left so finding them would be hard.

bmore - technology only progresses, which means recovery methods over the years will get better. there are millions of teeth left. but i do feel that prices are going to fall at some point, if only because fossil purchases are not up there with food and fuel necessities in an imploding economy.

Guest bmorefossil
bmore - technology only progresses, which means recovery methods over the years will get better. there are millions of teeth left. but i do feel that prices are going to fall at some point, if only because fossil purchases are not up there with food and fuel necessities in an imploding economy.

well maybe only on the east coast, lets take two places, calvert cliffs, and PCS. The teeth are not going to get better, I have talked to people who hunted the cliffs many years ago and a 3" tooth was the smallest tooth they would keep, if it was smaller they would just leave it there! PCS, there have been 7" teeth that have come out of the pit, now you see what people find and its rare for someone to find one over 5.5". Then you dont know what might happen at the cliffs, they could come out with some crazy law that stops collecting all together, and I was reading somewhere that PCS has only a few years left.

What kind of person would sell a tooth like that?

Someone with a mortgage and few options. We might see a lot of nice stuff going up for sale before things get better...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Someone with a mortgage and few options. We might see a lot of nice stuff going up for sale before things get better...

i still dont see how things will get better, maybe in 30 years or so but for now there are so many people out there that it would be hard for it to get any better

i still dont see how things will get better, maybe in 30 years or so but for now there are so many people out there that it would be hard for it to get any better

Chin up! I've been through a few of these; It isn't fun, but it isn't permanent. Just a case of too many people leveraging money they didn't have to buy bling they didn't need, and taking others down with them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
Chin up! I've been through a few of these; It isn't fun, but it isn't permanent. Just a case of too many people leveraging money they didn't have to buy bling they didn't need, and taking others down with them.

hey i have no problem finding teeth its just larger ones seem to stay away, and its not just me thats having that problem, you cant tell me that this is the best collecting in the world, i know you must have had some great days back when you were hunting. I enjoy hunting and am very happy if i find 1 nice something or in the rare case 16 nice fossils

...i know you must have had some great days back when you were hunting....

Funny what the passage of time does to one's memories. The older I get, the better I was.

• 10 years later...

There have been a few threads about C. chubutensis (separate species or early meg or just juvenile meg?).  This one may be the oldest one on the forum and I found it interesting so I'm bumping it.

Jess