Places In Florida That Arent Picked Over!

wunderkammer

Hi everyone! im new to fossiling but have been reading up on it alot lately. looking to do some searching at the rivers and creeks here in florida but i'd like to know which places arent entirely picked over yet? or are there just copious amounts of fossils everwhere here?

almost any where there is construction or road work in Florida there will be fossils.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

You're in a great place for fossils from creeks, the beach, the canals and the quarries. I wouldn't say that fossils are common as fallen leaves, but depending on how you want to work and what you would be interested in finding, you should do alright. Start by going where other people go......you will find fossils. Any creek in your county is a good start. Join a local club as well. They have field trips to places you may not get to alone. I was hoping to go to Zolfo Springs next week, but with this rain, looks like it will be mid October this year.

Good luck. And welcome to the forum.

Stevie Wonder could find fossils in Florida!

As long as you're not hoping for Mesozoic or Paleozoic material, it's hard not to :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's not an especially complimentary commentary on those of us who look for fossils in Florida Auspex, unless you're reflecting on our musical skills.

That's not an especially complimentary commentary on those of us who look for fossils in Florida Auspex, unless you're reflecting on our musical skills.

Sorry :( . I certainly mean no disparagement of the skills employed and the effort expended by the serious avocational collectors; only that casual finds in areas of Florida can be as easy as examining any disturbance of the overburden. Florida certainly is not "picked over", as questioned by the topic starter!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I can honestly say that I can't imagine you disparaging anyone, whether from Florida or not. I deserve a warning point for improperly directed sarcasm.

As long as you're not hoping for Mesozoic or Paleozoic material, it's hard not to :)

haha :rofl: -- You have a way with words...

Wunderkammer,

Good advice from people who have hunted Florida and know. This is a fossil hunting paradise. As with many hobbies, find some friends who know the ropes and learn to enjoy the journey. I have learned to enjoy the solitude of standing in the Peace River on a sunny day almost as much as I enjoy finding a Meg.

Here is a photo of one of my first really nice fossils that sealed the deal with me and hunting fossils.

post-2220-0-04346600-1380131009_thumb.jpg

It was in a location that was picked over. Welcome to the forum. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

a fun throwback to the lawless forum humor of 6 years ago!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

There is one degree of separation between the great Stevie Wonder and many fossil hunters: both are "very superstitious". ;)

• I found this Informative 1

you guys are great hahaha. i went to hogtown creek with some friends who like to search for fossils and we found lots of small fossil shark teeth, fragments of leg and rib dones, sea biscuits, worm castings, and a ton of broken glass lol. it was pretty fun! the first thing i found was a tiny sharks tooth almost as small as a grain of sand and for that moment it was the whole world to me! i decided to keep it.

When I hear collectors complain about a site being picked over I am reminded of the following quote.

“Nobody comes here anymore, its too crowded”

Yogi Berra

Welcome, When I teach people how to find shark teeth I usually start by showing them teenie weenie ones they have past by. My eyes are old but still have a nack for finding rocks and fossils where others step on them. Once they can see the little ones it's like a light goes on and they are driven by the collectors virus. That broken glass is just part of modern slobs living amongst us. I don't think anywhere in Florida is "picked over", it may be covered over but it's still there. Just watch out for sink holes.

Joe D.

• I found this Informative 1