Fluorescent Fossils Under Uv Light

Bev

What could someone tell me abt. looking at fossil amber with UV light with minerals and other types of inclusions inside such as insects etc?

Rodney

• 3 weeks later...

post-9628-0-11656800-1383969200_thumb.jpg post-9628-0-77763800-1383969220_thumb.jpg

Here is a longwave UV fossil/mineral display in an aquarium. Lights on; lights off - sorry, my photography is not good at all lights off, but you get the idea.

Black on the back and sides of the aquarium (no water), and switched out the 18 inch UV bulb for an 18 inch UV blacklight bulb. Cardboard boxes spray painted in flat black for risers.

Very cool as a night light in the bedroom!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Be careful with your eyes !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

This is longwave blacklight. Everything I have read indicates that long wave is safe for your eyes especially when confined in glass. Think of Halloween horror houses and parties.

Shortwave is dangerous.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

• 1 month later...

Great discussion and information , thank you.

Recently a seller in Australia has been advertising fluorescent ammonites from a location in Timor that I also access.

I made a light box using a foam box with lid and lined it with matt black material and attempted to create the same effect...

but to no affect.

Do you think it is to do with the wavelength effect or have I missed a serious step here.

I did get minor glowing from a couple of little ammonite halves.

Any input appreciated.

post-12572-0-73631300-1387723484_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-79852600-1387723491_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-31690700-1387723499_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-21217200-1387723506_thumb.jpg

Hi Timorgirl!

Not all fossils from a location will be fluorescent, very few actually from what I have found here.

Also, you did not mention whether you were using long wave or short wave light and how much intensity.

If I were you, I would contact the dealer and ask him what wave length he is using, the intensity, and the colors he is getting.

Some fossils will only glow under short wave - remember that it is what the mineral is that the fossil has become that glows. Others only under long wave, some both and may show very different colors under the different wave lengths.

And then there is intensity of the light, for example: is it a 51 LED flashlight? An 18" tube blacklight? A blacklight bulb? Or a 1 LED tiny bulb just to see affect?

I traded some fossils with another TFF member that were not fluorescent under my tube blacklight that were fluorescent for her! I'm not sure what setup she is using but she has both long and short wave and is much more knowledgeable than I am with lots more experience.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Thanks for sharing Bev, and I mean that in more ways than the one here. Your contributions to the forum are always heartfelt and I am almost jealous of the time you have at hand to play with your treasures. Good for you.

I used a blacklight bulb 250w and have just had to email the manufacturer as no-one at the shop I bought it from knows if it is SW MW or LW.

Nor does the manufacturers own website even have the product listed.

I shall keep you informed.

Blessings

You are a sweetheart Timorgirl! Thank you!

A blacklight is long wave. IF it is a UV blacklight. I purchased a blacklight that did not say UV and it didn't light up my fossils, but did show whites clearly and dust. Same fossils under a UV blacklight lit up. And you have lots of wattage there so that is not the problem.

Happy Holidays!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Happy holidays to you too Bev and you are welcome. We all need to appreciate those who contribute to our lives much.

Whites and dust for sure. I will seek out a MW and if possible a SW being mindful of the cautionary advice shared earlier.

Thanks so much again.

Ooops....that is ....We all need to appreciate those who contribute to our lives minus the much. Cheers from down under...sun is shining. pool is sparkling and fossil boxes are calling. B)

• I found this Informative 1

• 5 years later...

Thank you guys for all your research I'm so happy I came across this!   I live near the great lakes, so had planned on getting UV light to look at minerals that are famous around here.  That of course then got me curious about my fossils.  Nothing I found and the Devonian era has reacted with the UV light but . . . WOW  Some petrified wood I have lit right up!!  It would smokes interesting about it is the wood is not reacting with the UV light but the  "moss "  That was growing on the wood when it was petrified glows neon pink!  It looks amazing and it's a new way for me to enjoy my collection. It's also very engaging for my younger sons,  Bring up topics of the fossilization process and why some things react with the light and others don't. 

• 6 months later...

Try looking in Ordovician from Indiana and Kentucky the small brachs- Sowerebella  will glow orange. I have some in my fireplace from highway 1 in Indiana.  Some of the calcite in the Stromatoporoids from Ordovician of Indiana will glow to.   Packy 

I'm in the Ordo in Minnesota and find that about 40% of the fossils here glow a ghostly green.  :-)

Go to my

Pinned Posts: