Using C A Glue For Consolidating

kevinsoko

Does thin C A glue work well for consolidating and putting and finishing fossils in shale? I have tried it and it looks good but will there be problems down the road? Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

Cyanoacrylate, in its thin form, is a good consolidant for porous and/or friable materials, but can be expensive and difficult to use on large areas.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I buy a 2 oz bottle for about $6 I apply it with a pipet into cracks ad on the edges of shale then I put a thin layer on the surface of the fossil, being sure to wipe off any excess. It goes a long way and I do not have to mix it. Thanks for the help.

It is also an inhalation hazard and should always be used outdoors or under a fume hood. I see people bending over their work in a corner lab in their home, breathing the stuff straight down. Very stupid thing to do. I hope you are using a bulb pipet and not an old fashioned mouth pipet.

That stuff is bad news.

• I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

A pipette is a glass tube with a bulb on the end that you use to deliver precise quantities of fluid. They usually have a scale etched on the side of the glass. You can also have ones that you use with your mouth or thumb, Like putting your thumb over the end of a straw then when you release your thumb the liquid comes out.

Oh, pipette, I've seen those, never knew what they were called.

PaleoBond supplies little clear plastic spouts that go on the tip of the glue bottle for similar purpose, precision application.