Flea Market Finds

beach hunter

I got four good teeth at a great price i think. I paid $50. I have a few questions: What is the white stuff on the second one and can it be removed? Also what kind is the 3rd one? Thanks!

post-11233-0-25983900-1380502877_thumb.jpg

post-11233-0-90655100-1380502887_thumb.jpg

Wow, you did exceptionally well for only $50. I think all that is on that one tooth you mention is matrix material, a residual material that the tooth was found in. Typically, you can scratch this stuff off with your finger nail, but sometimes it can be stubborn. In this case you can try soaking it in water for a bit and then take a soft brush to it being careful not to damage the tooth. Others may be able to give you better insight for doing this. I believe the third tooth is a lower mako.

Wow, you did exceptionally well for only $50. I think all that is on that one tooth you mention is matrix material, a residual material that the tooth was found in. Typically, you can scratch this stuff off with your finger nail, but sometimes it can be stubborn. In this case you can try soaking it in water for a bit and then take a soft brush to it being careful not to damage the tooth. Others may be able to give you better insight for doing this. I believe the third tooth is a lower mako.

Thanks. I tryed to do that but I could only get a little bit off. Is there any other way to remove it?

It's pretty hard to tell what is actually on the tooth from the picture. Is it possible for you to take a clearer photo? I agree the third tooth is a lower I. Hastalis

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Thanks. I tryed to do that but I could only get a little bit off. Is there any other way to remove it?

Try selectively wetting the 'encrustation' (not soaking the tooth) with warm water, and see whether it softens things up a bit.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Your dentist could be your best friend here. A dental scaler can work wonders for removing stuborn matrix. Many times if you ask your dentist they have old scalers that they are finished using and will give them to you at litte to no chage. Caution is needed here because they are usually super sharp and can damage your fossil if used improperly. If you are going to try a scaler be sure to keep your tool angle almost parallel to the tooth surface and remove the matrix very slowly.