Another Awsome Fossil Hunting Trip In Galveston!

silverphoenix

It was an AWESOME day!!!!!! Warm finally! I got out on the beach and did some fossil hunting--it was pretty foggy, but it was nice since it kept the sun from blinding me, which is a problem when you depend on your eyesight for an activity like this! I picked up a good number of aquatic mammal vertebrae and some other fossilized bones including one I think is bison??? Anyways, I haven't had the time to identify them yet. I included the "new" bones in the pic because they're still pretty cool. I found a couple more dolphin verts, but both unfossilized this time. I also found a drum mouth plate that's missing most of its teeth, but has a few still in it that didn't fully surface before the fish died. I also found a shark eggsack (new of course!)--these are pretty rare to come by--I froze it in case my paleobiology prof can use it. Enjoy the pics!

CIMG2823.jpg

CIMG2824.jpg

CIMG2820.jpg

CIMG2819.jpg

CIMG2818.jpg

CIMG2817.jpg

CIMG2816.jpg

Next time, bring a wheelbarrow! Is the egg case unhatched?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

nice finds man, i have a drum fish jaw that looks just like the one you found had to look at mine for a sec. just to make sure someone didnt come over and take it lol

Man those are awesome finds.. You keep it up and you are going to have get a bigger place to keep them all. You sure have been cleaning up lately.

The eggsack is unhatched--can't see through it, but there's something in there---probably a nurse shark.

I've been finding a ton lately because I happened upon a couple of lucky spots--which I want to keep going to, but I'm running out of gas money! haha even at around $1.50 a gallon here XD hence why I'm selling some stuff on here :)

Amazing finds! I never thought so much came off the beaches out there.  Maybe I need to travel to the Gulf Coast more instead of Lee Creek!  I know I have a lot to learn and I definately look forward to it.

It was an AWESOME day!!!!!! Warm finally! I got out on the beach and did some fossil hunting--it was pretty foggy, but it was nice since it kept the sun from blinding me, which is a problem when you depend on your eyesight for an activity like this! I picked up a good number of aquatic mammal vertebrae and some other fossilized bones including one I think is bison??? Anyways, I haven't had the time to identify them yet. I included the "new" bones in the pic because they're still pretty cool. I found a couple more dolphin verts, but both unfossilized this time. I also found a drum mouth plate that's missing most of its teeth, but has a few still in it that didn't fully surface before the fish died. I also found a shark eggsack (new of course!)--these are pretty rare to come by--I froze it in case my paleobiology prof can use it. Enjoy the pics!

Great finds !!! when I get back next home next week lets hook-up I by the gas!

Nice finds. The egg cases are extremely common here in the UK. The one below is rather rare though. A cretaceous one.

post-45-1229802839_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.