Cleaning Fossil?

missmary49

First timer, use a dental pick and a lot of time and patience.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

if you have one, an air scribe is much faster, but also easier to damage the fish. with a littel practice you can get a 6 inch fish done in an hour or two. i just finished this one about 20 minutes ago. i used an air scribe and air abrasive to get the job done. this on is a nice little Priscacara liops

Brock

post-37-1229798091_thumb.jpg

if you have one, an air scribe is much faster, but also easier to damage the fish. with a littel practice you can get a 6 inch fish done in an hour or two. i just finished this one about 20 minutes ago. i used an air scribe and air abrasive to get the job done. this on is a nice little Priscacara liops

Brock

how long will it take with small tools? just scrape away the little lines?

The process is called "scratch-and-blow"; good light and a pair of magnifier "goggles" will help. Take your time and enjoy it; haste won't help a bit! :)

The final clean-up can be done by rubbing with an art gum eraser.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

using the scratch and blow technique will take time. hours to days depending on the size of the fish. be persistent and it will come out even better than the one i posted.

Brock

Brock

WOW! that is awesome! Great work!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you every experimented with solvents? I've got a little dremel stylus, but it feels a little too strong to be delicate with it. Does anyone else have any experience with the Dremel stylus?

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

Guest solius symbiosus

^^They are best used for removing excess material as the rotating bit will damage the fossil. A small engraver then can be used to remove the remaining matrix if you don't have a scribe.