A Good Ichthyologist Or Fish Bone Expert?

uncoat

In the last few years i have been collecting more and more fossil fish skulls and other fish elements from the Miocene Astoria Fm. i have not been able to identify. I have talked to a number of prominent Paleontologists, Professors and fossil enthusiasts that are familiar with the vertebrate fossils in this location. None of them seem to have much knowledge specifically about fish skeletal anatomy though. So at this point im thinking i may have better luck emailing Ichthyologists or folks that specifically study fish and or fish bones.

Im looking for some more defined fish names other then just "Fish" Or from what i know, Osteichthyes is the superclass of fish that represents all boney fish? This is just what i have read on Wikipedia though. Maybe someone could explain this further?

So my question is if anyone knows anyone who i could email that may be of assistance? When i search "Ichthyology" on Wikipedia, it lists a few names of "paleoichthyologist". Maybe i could try to contact some of them? I'm not thinking that this would have to be someone with a vast knowledge of fossils, more just fish and their bones.

Sorry if this all sounds confusing.. :blink: I really don't know much about fish and it seems that most of the people i talk to dont either. Or they don't know much about their skeletal structure.

Any help or advise anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Post some pictures of what you need ID'd . That way you'll have way more support then just exchanging emails with a few people.

Nick,

You should try finding Bruce Welton. He lived in Oregon, knows the fossil fish sites well, and has published on both sharks and bony fishes.. He retired recently but is associated with the New Mexico Museum of Natural History now.

Jess

In the last few years i have been collecting more and more fossil fish skulls and other fish elements from the Miocene Astoria Fm. i have not been able to identify. I have talked to a number of prominent Paleontologists, Professors and fossil enthusiasts that are familiar with the vertebrate fossils in this location. None of them seem to have much knowledge specifically about fish skeletal anatomy though. So at this point im thinking i may have better luck emailing Ichthyologists or folks that specifically study fish and or fish bones.

Im looking for some more defined fish names other then just "Fish" Or from what i know, Osteichthyes is the superclass of fish that represents all boney fish? This is just what i have read on Wikipedia though. Maybe someone could explain this further?

So my question is if anyone knows anyone who i could email that may be of assistance? When i search "Ichthyology" on Wikipedia, it lists a few names of "paleoichthyologist". Maybe i could try to contact some of them? I'm not thinking that this would have to be someone with a vast knowledge of fossils, more just fish and their bones.

Sorry if this all sounds confusing.. :blink: I really don't know much about fish and it seems that most of the people i talk to dont either. Or they don't know much about their skeletal structure.

Any help or advise anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Nick,

You should try finding Bruce Welton. He lived in Oregon, knows the fossil fish sites well, and has published on both sharks and bony fishes.. He retired recently but is associated with the New Mexico Museum of Natural History now.

Jess

Nick

If you send me a PM with some pictures of your fossil fish skulls, I can pass them on to Bruce Welton, or Dr. Robert Weems, a USGS emeritus, who is also very knowledgeable on fish.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the suggestions! I have been rather sick the past weeks so im just getting back to this now..

Thanks Marco Sr., I'm working on a few right now that i would like to get a bit farther. I will shoot you a PM when i have some good photos in order. Thanks for the help.

Nick