Poc Teeth

Katfish61

I have been having problems getting quaility photos. I read here that I can scan them, 600dpi is the best I can do. Now on my micros, I am still having problems. So I guess I am posting this one to see what ya'll think about the quaility and any suggestions on the micros. :)

Thanks to all of ya'll in advance......

post-12300-0-44203800-1381525280_thumb.jpg

Kathy

I have never photo'd any micros but that looks good to me, has plenty of detail, well lit, and not reflecting anything. I like!

Doesn't look as if you're having problems to me, the photo you posted is quite clear. Daddy like!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Your image looks real good. Scanners can do a nice job. I used one for several years on my micros. You do get shadows sometimes around your specimen. But be careful you don't lose your specimen. I lost several really small specimens when they stuck to my scanner lid. When I lifted the lid they fell off, bounced off my glass and onto my carpet, never to be found again. If you use a camera and have an automatic focus you will probably be better off removing the penny with really small micros. The camera will focus on the larger penny and leave your micros a little blurry. If you can focus your camera yourself, you can focus on the micros versus the penny.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I am using a 5045 Canon copier in the scan mode. I did break a great piece or coral by letting the lid close on it and I heard it crunch under the weight. I might not find another one like it, it's not very common in POC. Or not for me anyway.

I want to remove the penny, but I do want a scale. I have a ruler that is silver and it leaves it to dark with the light from the scanner. So I will get a white one and try it. I started with laying a piece of paper back behind it and then tried a paper towel. It seemed to hug it better and kept down on the darkness. I work around the machines all day long and have for many years, so I should be able to figure something out.

Thanks again..... :D I will post the micros as soon as I get some better scans.....

Edited by Katfish61

Kathy

Katfish,

If you want a white background, you could use a piece of white foam board or poster paper. Just find something to raise it up on all four corners (I have used film canisters). That way you wouldnt have to use the scanner lid at all.

Katfish,

If you want a white background, you could use a piece of white foam board or poster paper. Just find something to raise it up on all four corners (I have used film canisters). That way you wouldnt have to use the scanner lid at all.

Pat

I wish I had thought of that or saw this post a few years back. I could have saved myself a lot of grief with lost and damaged specimens because of the scanner lid. I guess you could glue the film canisters to the corners of the white foam board and then just put it on the scanner with the lid up. It would be quick to use and you don't damage or lose the specimens by having the scanner lid pressing on them. Plus if you had white specimens you could use something that was black instead of the white foam board.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Since I broke the coral, I no longer close the lid. I had made a little box from cardstock, about a half inch off the scanner. It didn't seem to work as well as the paper towel. Thanks for all of the advice, I can use it. Always getting the best help from TFF. :)

Kathy