Anyone Up For A Whiskey Bridge Trip Jan 19?

silverphoenix

Well I think it's the 18th or the 19th--going to a gun show for sure on the 24th and 25th, but the weekend before that is what I'm talking about.

To be honest, I work a lot better alone--it's peaceful and quiet, no one messes with my stuff or my digspot, don't have to worry about rolling a boulder onto anyone's head or them trying to dig next to me and getting hurt or hurting me XD

BUT, I can't go solo all the time--nope, I need to get social. Plus my girlfriend doesn't like fossils or anything and really it isn't exactly safe to be swinging from a rope with sharp metal tools by my lonely. ;)

I'm setting a date and seeing who all would like to come. I'll show you my digging style, what I use, and give some helpful tips I had to learn the hard way. All I ask is that you bring your knowledge to share and be respectful of both the site and one another, which I'm sure everyone will be.

Well I think it's the 18th or the 19th--going to a gun show for sure on the 24th and 25th, but the weekend before that is what I'm talking about.

To be honest, I work a lot better alone--it's peaceful and quiet, no one messes with my stuff or my digspot, don't have to worry about rolling a boulder onto anyone's head or them trying to dig next to me and getting hurt or hurting me XD

BUT, I can't go solo all the time--nope, I need to get social. Plus my girlfriend doesn't like fossils or anything and really it isn't exactly safe to be swinging from a rope with sharp metal tools by my lonely. ;)

I'm setting a date and seeing who all would like to come. I'll show you my digging style, what I use, and give some helpful tips I had to learn the hard way. All I ask is that you bring your knowledge to share and be respectful of both the site and one another, which I'm sure everyone will be.

Count me in. I was hoping to tag along on a couple of trips while at home. tell me what I need to bring and where to meet. I'll be there.

I'd be happy to have you along. Just bring any tools you want to dig with--I suggest a brick-layer's hammer and a chisel--a swing pick if you have one, and any sifter you want to use--be sure to bring boots (steel toed if you have them) because I've had a ton of rocks to fall on my feet. Also bring a hard case for your finds because the ones from this site are especially fragile. If you want to dig on the steeper cliffs, I suggest bringing a rope, but there's easy digging you don't need one for--it's just preference. If you want to bring back some microfossil dirt, just bring a bag or whatever you want to fill with it and I'll show you how I collect it.

I'll let you know a specific day and time as it gets a little closer--I was thinking that sat of the 18/19 whatever it is at around 9:30

I can PM you directions or gps coordinates to directly go to the site, or we can meet up in college station somewhere--whatever is most convinient for you.

P.S. I've been told that I sound somewhat unfriendly whenever I write anything, but I'm quite the opposite in person!--I just usually write stuff on here when I'm too tired to do anything but sit at the computer, so I'm usually a little cold sounding when I write :D

I'll go if I am available that weekend. btw, the 17th and 18th are the Saturday and Sunday that weekend.

Well, I know Mike knows what tools are required........step back when he starts swinging. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'd be happy to have you along. Just bring any tools you want to dig with--I suggest a brick-layer's hammer and a chisel--a swing pick if you have one, and any sifter you want to use--be sure to bring boots (steel toed if you have them) because I've had a ton of rocks to fall on my feet. Also bring a hard case for your finds because the ones from this site are especially fragile. If you want to dig on the steeper cliffs, I suggest bringing a rope, but there's easy digging you don't need one for--it's just preference. If you want to bring back some microfossil dirt, just bring a bag or whatever you want to fill with it and I'll show you how I collect it.

I'll let you know a specific day and time as it gets a little closer--I was thinking that sat of the 18/19 whatever it is at around 9:30

I can PM you directions or gps coordinates to directly go to the site, or we can meet up in college station somewhere--whatever is most convinient for you.

P.S. I've been told that I sound somewhat unfriendly whenever I write anything, but I'm quite the opposite in person!--I just usually write stuff on here when I'm too tired to do anything but sit at the computer, so I'm usually a little cold sounding when I write :D

I'm ready, just let me know I'll be coming down from Austin. I have a paleopic. Also some rock climbing gear I'll bring, and a 5 screen set. I always say Go big or Go home.

I took a friend today because she was having a bad day and needed to get away from the city for a few hours. I dug as usual in the usual spot and was about to call the day a bust. I crammed my chisel in the crack of the wall and started hammering and all of a sudden LANDSLIDE!!!!!!!!!! I caved off about 4 vertical feet by 1 ft or so of wall and it nearly took me with it! Luckily I was secured by the rope and was uninjured. Unbelievably, this was a miracle of a small landslide because I found 4 personal record breaking sized fossils that fell out, plus 3 nice sized otoliths!!!!

These may look small to someone not familiar with these species or the Stone City Formation--but to everyone familiar with this formation, these specimens are abnormally large and very rare in this size, especially perfect like this :D

CIMG2870.jpg

CIMG2865.jpg

Protosurcula gabbi

CIMG2866.jpg

Athleta petrosus

CIMG2868.jpg

Michela trabeatoides

CIMG2867.jpg

Distorsio septemdentata

CIMG2869.jpg

Latirus moorei

Does the 17th or the 18th sound good to everyone? We can choose one or the other as the time gets closer.

I took a friend today because she was having a bad day and needed to get away from the city for a few hours. I dug as usual in the usual spot and was about to call the day a bust. I crammed my chisel in the crack of the wall and started hammering and all of a sudden LANDSLIDE!!!!!!!!!! I caved off about 4 vertical feet by 1 ft or so of wall and it nearly took me with it! Luckily I was secured by the rope and was uninjured. Unbelievably, this was a miracle of a small landslide because I found 4 personal record breaking sized fossils that fell out, plus 3 nice sized otoliths!!!!

These may look small to someone not familiar with these species or the Stone City Formation--but to everyone familiar with this formation, these specimens are abnormally large and very rare in this size, especially perfect like this :D

CIMG2870.jpg

CIMG2865.jpg

Protosurcula gabbi

CIMG2866.jpg

Athleta petrosus

CIMG2868.jpg

Michela trabeatoides

CIMG2867.jpg

Distorsio septemdentata

CIMG2869.jpg

Latirus moorei

Does the 17th or the 18th sound good to everyone? We can choose one or the other as the time gets closer.

Those are great count me in either day or both, as I am off work.

Beautiful! Let's hear it for land-slides :)

The preservation there is fantastic!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well I had to move plans to Jan 24--that Saturday--going to a different gun show a few weeks after and moving the fossil trip to that weekend instead. We'll first hit Whiskey Bridge and then go to a petrified wood hunting site of mine if time permits that day. Bring your lunch or I'll give you directions for places you can go to eat in college station.

I usually dig from about 9 AM to 6 PM, but may do 9:30-3:30 on Whiskey Bridge and 4-6 on the petrified wood site or until it gets dark. There's a lot to be found and no one will go home empty handed or dis-satisfied. Plan on digging at WB--you can find a lot surface hunting, but most of the good stuff is in the banks still buried. PM me if you want to come and I'll send you the time and place. If you need GPS coordinates to Whiskey Bridge or have never been and need to know what is best to bring, let me know. I don't assume any responsibility for anyone and everyone comes at their own risk. The slopes are steep in some areas and it's easy to slip or fall--so please come prepared if you want to dig some of the tougher spots. Otherwise, there are some spots that are easy digging and yield some great stuff. I've dug just about every spot at this site and I've been a few dozen times this year, so if you have any questions about the site, feel free to ask.

If you've been before, then post some of your best finds! :D It'd be interesting to see what the largest specimens of each species are that have been found and what species have been found that no one knew were there.

You appear to be seriously addicted to this spot. That Protosurcula gabbi is huge. The biggest one that I have seen.

I should be in, but as Mike knows - I love palm wood!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

anybody who lives within a couple hours of livingston, tx, and who likes fossil wood, or who just likes rocks, should try to make it by johnson's rock shop, which is pretty much the most out-of-the-way, fascinating place you'll ever hope to find. it's a mind warp to planet rockhound.

anybody who lives within a couple hours of livingston, tx, and who likes fossil wood, or who just likes rocks, should try to make it by johnson's rock shop, which is pretty much the most out-of-the-way, fascinating place you'll ever hope to find. it's a mind warp to planet rockhound.

If tracer thinks it's fascinating, it must be!

If they have a website, I couldn't find it, but they have a mention on http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/18966.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!