Seahorse Fossil

tracer

tj found a fossil tooth from a seahorse. we know it was from a seahorse, because it's from a horse and it was found on the beach and it had bryozoa on it, so it came from the sea. you put two and two together, and you get a seahorse (or five, which is another discussion).

post-488-1229901137_thumb.jpg

what the heck - figured i throw in a picture of a weird crab. oh, the things that look like hunks of a blacktop road are hunks of a blacktop road. so much for access.

post-488-1229901731_thumb.jpg

to heck with the seahorse. we also found a seadragon.

A baby Sea Zoria! http://www.seazoria.com/ :P

Then, a more sobering thought; a child's toy amid the storm-tossed wrack; Ike's toll on human happiness... :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"Then, a more sobering thought; a child's toy amid the storm-tossed wrack; Ike's toll on human happiness... :("

i didn't even really think about that. i've seen so much debris that it takes more to trip my senses now. some events just can't be comprehended. and the experiences can't be put into words. and the pictures can't all be shown. but one more that i took after the storm...

post-488-1229911349_thumb.jpg

what the heck - figured i throw in a picture of a weird crab. oh, the things that look like hunks of a blacktop road are hunks of a blacktop road. so much for access.

Your crab has been snared by the egg collar of a moon shell (we used to call them "whale's eyes" when I was a kid)! Makes me want to go back to the beach. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I reckon that'd be the Texas City dike---looks similar to my hunting grounds around those parts :D Nice finds! And I find a ton of those crabs--can't remember what they're called, but they're harvested for food for sure (saw it on discovery channel on that crabbin show)--just don't eat em after they're dead! :faint:

Your crab has been snared by the egg collar of a moon shell (we used to call them "whale's eyes" when I was a kid)! Makes me want to go back to the beach. :D

well, i could put you in contact with tens of thousands of those shells.

Guest bmorefossil
to heck with the seahorse. we also found a seadragon.

post-488-1229902004_thumb.jpg

yes this dragon is different, hmm the pink i would say is r:42 and white:37, hey didnt feel like picking up the drum fish jaws?

Guest bmorefossil

tracer i didnt know you got crabs too!!! do you see alot of these?

tracer i didnt know you got crabs too!!! do you see alot of these?

not a whole lot, but some. mostly we see the standard blue crabs. some stone crabs. ghost crabs. saw a fiddler crab recently. hermit crabs.

well, i could put you in contact with tens of thousands of those shells.

Back in the mid-60s, my family picked up a couple dozen that seemed to be tennis ball sized. One of my first "beach" memories at Surfside. The egg "collar" (around the crab's leg) is usually never associated with the shell.

post-420-1229920990_thumb.jpgpost-420-1229921006_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest bmorefossil
not a whole lot, but some. mostly we see the standard blue crabs. some stone crabs. ghost crabs. saw a fiddler crab recently. hermit crabs.

yea thats about what i would expect you to see.

saw a bunch of egg collars the last time out. must be the sea son. (get it?)

is that a sea snake on your shell )get it(?

it's early, isn't it? i can tell by how i'm talking...

Not sure if anyone cares, but I think that is a spider crab.

It is probably Libinia dubia, the "longnosed spider crab", also known as the "southern spider crab".

apparently there's info in the fossil record regarding a change in hunting tactics of the "shark eye" moon snail and his cousin, when attacking each other...

adaptive predation

I love educated inferrence, especially when the clues are cryptic!

(Translation: "Who'd a thunk it!")

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!