Florida Vertebrate Laws

Carcharodontosaurus

I have a question. As far as I'm aware, collection of vertebrate fossils in the United States by amateurs is prohibited on federal land, and only permitted on private property (with permission) and some parks (with restrictions). However, many collectors seem to be able to find and collect vertebrate fossils in Florida rivers without any trouble.

What category would these rivers fit in? Would they count as private property, federal land, BLM land, or special collecting parks (like Big Brook)?

The channels of navigable rivers in Florida are State land and governed by state law, managed as far as fossil collecting goes, by the University of Florida. However, many complexities are met regarding where your access points are, which Water management District you are in and the attitude of the Wildlife management officer you have occasion to meet.

Many counties, including Polk, Hardy and Desoto, where the Peace River resides is not an issue. Other rivers can be a concern and require local knowledge.

Sacha is correct --

There are a number of exceptions and in most cases of rivers, enforcement is intentionally lax.

Waterways in Florida are public lands as long as they are navigable. Private land owners sometimes like to argue what is navigable and what is not. Given the number of carry permits in Florida, I graciously accept their view.

So river bottoms are controlled by state law. In Florida State and National Parks may have restrictions, some serious with enforcement.

You might ask what happens when rivers go thru state parks - I was at Paynes Creek Park for National Fossil Day a week ago and this topic came up -- The Peace River goes thru Paynes Creek Park -- It is actually prohibited to fossil in the River within the confines of the Park --

I have seen plenty of large groups of cute little kids digging in the riverbed within the confines of the park. Boy Scouts girls scouts school trips etc.

I would be shocked if any official came along and asked fossil hunters to leave.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Fossiling on Florida state lands is less fraught with restrictions than many other states, but DO NOT collect artifacts! If a point shows up in your screen, throw it back. Seriously.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Fossiling on Florida state lands is less fraught with restrictions than many other states, but DO NOT collect artifacts! If a point shows up in your screen, throw it back. Seriously.

It's so very unfortunate that people have exploited artifacts so much that we are at this point (no pun intended). There is so much to learn still about the previous inhabitants. In my opinion, the best would be to have all artifacts documented and submitted to the State for further examination. Granted, there are plenty of occurrences where the 'officials' have exploited or ignored important finds, but I think it would still be for the best to have them all cataloged by the State.

Edited by auximenes

It's so very unfortunate that people have exploited artifacts so much that we are at this point (no pun intended). There is so much to learn still about the previous inhabitants. In my opinion, the best would be to have all artifacts documented and submitted to the State for further examination. Granted, there are plenty of occurrences where the 'officials' have exploited or ignored important finds, but I think it would still be for the best to have them all cataloged by the State.

My friend and fossil hunting partner, Bill Shaver, President of the Lee County Fossil of Lee County, died in May. In April. he was communicating with the Florida Department of Historical Resources about the Isolated finds law.

The response he got back is that a study was made and after talking to artifact hunters, Archeology societies, Florida Indian tribes land management authorities and fish and wildlife manager, the decision was made to terminate the Isolated Finds Law which allowed individuals to keep artifacts found in Florida river if they provided details on the discovery and reported to the Florida Department of Historical Resources.

Reasons for termination was low participation in the program by artifact hunters and problems with the enforcement of the IFP (Isolated Finds Program).

The program prohibited taking artifacts from Archaeological sites and from rivers within State or Federal lands.

Their investigations made the point that the prohibitions were occasionally violated, there was not a lot of participation and large numbers of Florida -type artifacts were showing up for sale and there was not way for law enforcement to determine provenance.

I also am sad that we have come to this but I do not believe there is a chance that Florida authorities or politicians will modify the current restrictions. :(

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the additional info. It is a shame that some people cannot be counted on to do the right thing and all suffer because of it.