Ammonites To Be Found In North East?

gdarone

The many wonderful ammonite specimens that so many people post has really got me itching to find some ammonites of my own? However, most of the finds seem to be in the middle of the U.S.

Does anyone have any good places for ammonites that they know of in the DE, PA, MD, NJ, NY region?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

No ammonites, that I am aware of in the North East, other than partial pieces/sections in NJ cretaceous streams.

I know the Devonian formations sometimes produce ammonoids, or curled nautiloids, in certain areas.

MikeyMig finds them up near Rochester, NY, ... and Hitekmastr found a partial in Deer Lake, PA.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The basement of Ralph Johnson's dad in NJ! That is where the MAPS collection is (or was) housed. Ralph has the most amazing collection of ammonites from the east coast Cretaceous. The ammonites are there in NJ & parts but how he managed to build such and awesome collection is still a mystery to me. He has drawer after drawer of them, including many weird heteromorphs.

Not sure how to contact Ralph these days but he does open the display up to people and can tell you all about the collection.

Tim is right, ammonites are scarce in the NE and NJ is the only place I know of to find true ammonites. The specimens I find in NY are ammonoids but I like to refer to them as ammonites since they are the ancestor to all ammonites just with a different suture pattern. I'm sure if these animals were still alive today they would look very similar. Here is a link to some of my collection from NY -https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.153719661385815.35282.151291358295312&type=3

Note- The specimens I have in my collection took me many years to collect and the site they came from is very remote and undocumented. When you go on vacation, visit Montana/South Dakota to find your own. I found some great specimens out there and like the ones I find in NY, they are in hard nodules but with prettier shells.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Ammonites are present in NJ and Delaware but they are rare, generally incomplete, and usually (but not always) phosphatic molds. They can be found in some of the streams, but require years of frequent searching to find the occasional half decent specimen. More decent specimens can be found in certain formations, such as the Severn Formation, but aside from a few small stream bank exposures most of the specimens come from construction sites, which of course come and go. I believe Ralph Johnson accumulated his famous collection via years of dedicated searching, plus having contact with an extensive network of collectors who provided real-time info on construction sites with potential to yield fossils. These sites quickly disappear under buildings and pavement; others (such as at Atlantic Highlands) are on private property and are off limits (and watched for trespassers).

If you want to be assured of finding a few good keepers, go West.

Don

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I think a trip to the west, perhaps a cross country fossilling trip may be in my future this coming Summer. :)

For me it's been 10 years and only one planteceras 2/3s complete. But it has tooth marks. Lots of segments.

I've seen the maps collection and am amazed at the ammonites

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.