Large Tree Fungus Fossil ?

saltbush

Hi everyone I'm from Australia...found this (what i think to be) fossil in Eastern Victoria.

It looks to me like one of those fungus mushroomy things that grow on the side of trees,It is about 30 cm (1ft) across and weighs about 30 kg (60 pounds).

post-1115-1230176492_thumb.jpg

post-1115-1230176517_thumb.jpg

post-1115-1230176530_thumb.jpg

post-1115-1230176544_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Welcome to the forum. Probably not a tree fungus. While I don't know what you have found, I would lean more towards an algal mat. Can you provide specifics on the location, i.e. age?

welcome to the forum, i have no idea what you found but ill see if i can find anything that looks like what you found

i did find this link that talks about fossil fungus

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/04/24/1905015.htm

Thanks for the welcome

I was thinking of taking it on a 3 hour drive to our states museum to have it looked at (they do free identifications)

Do you think it would be worth having it looked at

Thanks for the welcome

I was thinking of taking it on a 3 hour drive to our states museum to have it looked at (they do free identifications)

Sure, I'm curious too.

Welcome to the forum!!

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks for the welcome

3 hours is a long way, find somewhere to fossil on the way there or back but I would go if I were you

I have no idea about fossils ...i found it while looking for gold in a creek

I know there is a very large open cut coal mine about 10 km away....will see if i can find out and get back to you

I managed to find this which seems to fit with my theory

Strzelecki Ranges consists of moderate to steep slopes, deeply dissected blocks of alternating beds of sandstone, siltstone and shales, and swampy alluvial fans in the lowlands. The geology is of Mesozoic non-marine deposits covered with a veneer of younger Cainozoic deposits including newer basalts. The soils are mainly gradational textured acidic soils (Dermosols) together with friable red earths (Ferrosols).

Heres a pic of the sort of fungus im thinking of

post-1115-1230179916_thumb.jpg

if it formed based on organic origin, i'd also guess that it's stromatolitic. but the info you found indicated non-marine strata, and it actually looks to me to possibly of non-organic origin. it might be an interesting piece of alluvial art.

i really don't think it's associated with a tree fungus.

it's interesting. thanks for posting it!

Even if it turns out not to be fungus, it is still

very cool. Curious to hear what it is...

Did you find any gold then?

Welcome to the forum!

No gold unfortunately

I will post back in a couple of weeks and let you know what the museum says

Hope you all have a great X-mas and thanks for your input

Guest bmorefossil
No gold unfortunately

I will post back in a couple of weeks and let you know what the museum says

Hope you all have a great X-mas and thanks for your input

oh well better luck next time, have you found gold here before?

Well your fossil is very interesting, if you do take it to the museum let us know what it is. Welcome to the forum.

This is a very interesting puzzle.

Were it a "shelf" or "bracket" fungus, I would expect the concentric center to be at the edge of attachment, not near the center.

Please report back to us when you have shown it to the experts!

Welcome to the Forum! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a very interesting puzzle.

Were it a "shelf" or "bracket" fungus, I would expect the concentric center to be at the edge of attachment, not near the center.

Please report back to us when you have shown it to the experts!

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I agree. I would think that the center would have started from the attachment as it wrapped around the tree.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

I believe it would have gill slits as well present, in most cases.

Most bracket fungi are polypores, and quite woody to boot.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
Strzelecki Ranges consists of moderate to steep slopes, deeply dissected blocks of alternating beds of sandstone, siltstone and shales, and swampy alluvial fans in the lowlands. The geology is of Mesozoic non-marine deposits covered with a veneer of younger Cainozoic deposits including newer basalts. The soils are mainly gradational textured acidic soils (Dermosols) together with friable red earths (Ferrosols)

Sands, silts, and especially clays, are indicative of a marine environment. Too, there is the thing about fans, which definitely, indicates a near shore marine environment(where algal mats form). It is a stromatolite!