Tasmanian Animal?

Paleotrekkers952

Hello,

The Forum is great and have really enjoyed looking around the site.

I'm completely new to all of this. I've had an ongoing interest in freshwater (non-marine) sequences in the Permian and Triassic here in Tasmania for over 30 years.

Over that time I've been finding some interesting specimens. Not much luck getting them identified.

I'm just getting to grips with photographic techniques, but have attached an image of one interesting find, which seems to me to be animal (?) in origin. I hope the image is clear enough.

Any help with identification would be most welcome.

Phil,

Tasmaniapost-13639-0-73154800-1383957744_thumb.jpg

I gave your post its own topic in the hopes of generating some attention. ;)

Not sure if your image is clear enough.... Maybe additional views that include the specimen size and an overview will be helpful.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

What is the scale of the specimen (which I take to be the oval depression and the trailing discoloration)?

Is this a terrestrial, marine, or fresh water sediment?

What else have you found at this site?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hello,

many thanks for the replies. The specimen is 9mm in length. The parent rock (fine sandstone-mudstone : upper Permian to Triassic) is non-marine (fresh Water). The oval head is a depression as is the 'tail'. I am also finding plant fossils in the area of this find.

Can send in images of typical plant material as well. Also have taken images of the above fossil using UV, this gives some more detail....

Hello,

The recent image of the Tasmanian fossil taken under UV was not very clear. I took a second image.

Note also the feature to the top left of the fossil - a comb like structure????

post-13639-0-84846700-1384562318_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...