Trilobite Hunting / Rock Splitting

Krazy Rick

I haven't gone hunting yet, but plan to soon, I was just curious ..... when a rock is split & there is a Positive & negative on both sides, ( I suppose you would keep both halves ? ) .... is the actual animal in there ? ...... also, is it fairly hard to find these complete ..... or is reconstruction, more likely ?

If it's a split, keep both halves. Eyes and spines have a tendancy to break off, so if you have both halves, they can be glued back together and prepped revealing a (hopefully) complete trilobite. If everything is there and articulated, you have the remains of a complete trilobite. If there's disarticulation, missing free cheeks or other parts, it could be a moult. Some species are much more likely to be found than others, and enrolled specimens are much more common than prone. It all depends where you're looking

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

If it's a split, keep both halves. Eyes and spines have a tendancy to break off, so if you have both halves, they can be glued back together and prepped revealing a (hopefully) complete trilobite. If everything is there and articulated, you have the remains of a complete trilobite. If there's disarticulation, missing free cheeks or other parts, it could be a moult. Some species are much more likely to be found than others, and enrolled specimens are much more common than prone. It all depends where you're looking

Thanks much, it can be overwhelming to t least learn some of these basics - this is all pretty new to me; but I am enjoying it so far

Years ago, I collected a Devonian mudstone road-cut in Virginia, full of 3-D Phacops trilobites and Mucrospirifer brachiopods. Everything split out to render positives and negatives, but they were internal and external casts; the shells having dissolved away eons ago. In this case, it would be a push to say that the "whole animals" were present, but they were terrific in their own way.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"it can be overwhelming to t least learn some of these basics" I hear that Krazy Rick!

Me too!

Just keep hanging around and have FUN!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 3 weeks later...

There are lots of good videos on youtube to help you learn about fossils. Between TFF, youtube, and Google you can find almost anything you want to know. Have fun and enjoy!

Dry Dredgers has some good Youtube videos on fossil topics

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I totally agree. Their Cincinnati road cut trips make me drool. And they have an introduction to fossil hunting lecture that gave me some good pointers when I started out. Their channel name is Flying Science If I remember right.