Late Christmas Presents From Posk Oak Creek

jax

We hit Post Oak Creek today (Oh Man, My dad, and Me). It was a beautiful day, 80 degrees, and overcast. Water was nice and cold. The prize here are the Ptychodus teeth, and we all came away with 3 (Owen hit another location after we left and found the tie breaker #4) But I got the largest being 3/4 inch tall by wide. Really nice tooth. I got my first horse tooth, half of it anyways, and my first human tooth!!! :D Not sure its human, looks more like deer, or something in that species. There was a TON of glass in the creek where we were sifting, so glad no one got cut. Most of the bladed teeth were broken, but a few came out whole. Owen got him a nice one, about an inch long if I can remember correctlly.

Justin

post-221-1230353240_thumb.jpg

post-221-1230353282_thumb.jpg

post-221-1230353432_thumb.jpg

post-221-1230353455_thumb.jpg

We hit Post Oak Creek today (Oh Man, My dad, and Me). It was a beautiful day, 80 degrees, and overcast. Water was nice and cold. The prize here are the Ptychodus teeth, and we all came away with 3 (Owen hit another location after we left and found the tie breaker #4) But I got the largest being 3/4 inch tall by wide. Really nice tooth. I got my first horse tooth, half of it anyways, and my first human tooth!!! :D Not sure its human, looks more like deer, or something in that species. There was a TON of glass in the creek where we were sifting, so glad no one got cut. Most of the bladed teeth were broken, but a few came out whole. Owen got him a nice one, about an inch long if I can remember correctlly.

Justin

Looks like you guys had a nice trip. 80 degrees, Wow i'm jealous.

Looks like a human tooth to me.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Justin

It does look human are you sure it is fossilized? If it is recent , that's kind of scary!

It does look human are you sure it is fossilized? If it is recent , that's kind of scary!

I dont think it human, because the tip of the tooth has a flat surface(very small one) and my teeth dont have that. Seems more like a deer or goat, something like that.

Nice finds! Is that a human tooth?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I dont think it human, because the tip of the tooth has a flat surface(very small one) and my teeth dont have that. Seems more like a deer or goat, something like that.

I agree Jax, I don't think it's human. However, the suggestion of such has now guaranteed a spectrum of tangents to your post. :P:P:P

Great finds on a nice December day! Did you find skull fragments? B):D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I see there was good hunting there.....

That creek must be loaded with teeth as

I know it is a well hunted area, yet everyone

seems to find quite a bit. Were there a lot

of hunters when you guys were there?

Welcome to the forum!

I see there was good hunting there.....

That creek must be loaded with teeth as

I know it is a well hunted area, yet everyone

seems to find quite a bit. Were there a lot

of hunters when you guys were there?

That creek is pretty long, you have to work for the teeth, but it seems that whereever theres gravel, theres teeth. No other hunters seen, but we were in a new area to us, and it was a bit out of the way, on some back roads. I bet I could have found alot more teeth using my smaller sifter. I had a 1/4 screen.

John, No skull frags, but we found a bunch newer cow bones(they looked like cow)

And on the tenth day of Christmas my "true love?" gave to me, 10 ptychodus teeth a crushing...

At least she let me go fossil hunting!

Here's a couple of more pix taken with teeth on Jax's floor mat.

It was pretty windy so that was the best we could do and still get sunlight on the finds.

We were pretty consistent at one Ptychodus tooth per hour of sifting. We left our spot with 3 each after 3 hours.

After lunch I went back to the creek to grab a bucket of gravel and found one more.

As for the other tooth in question, I think there is a fair chance it IS a modern (non-fossilized) human's lower front tooth, but would need a dentist to take a look at the root to verify. Needless to say all that sifting produced some interesting finds.

post-549-1230442690_thumb.jpg

post-549-1230443803_thumb.jpg

post-549-1230447391_thumb.jpg

post-549-1230447402_thumb.jpg

post-549-1230447411_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"