Burn Test Smell On Hoof Core

Plantguy

Hi Gang!

So Mr Jeff (jcbshark) has been of late leading me away from fossil plants and I found this hoof core (Equus?/Pleistocene horse?) in a Florida creekbed on our last outing with Jason. We had way too much fun!

I was very excited about the find thinking it was fossil but as the days have passed it has dried out and lost much of its weight and dark coloration and it now doesnt appear mineralized at all.

post-1240-0-52597000-1384829465_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-67052600-1384829457_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-90131200-1384829459_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-34982000-1384829463_thumb.jpg

So my questions, Does a burn test on a hoof core yield similar smells/results to recent bone? Has anyone else collecting in the Peace River or any other Florida rivers/creeks or anywhere else ever found a fossil hoof core that isnt mineralized?

Thanks for the look...

Regards, Chris

Haven't specifically found a hoof core before, but have found the recent remains of unfortunate cattle, dogs, deer and pigs.

Most of my collecting so far has been of marine fish and mammals in sediments far above any running water...in other words, they have not been subjected to air or washing since they were layed down over 15 million years ago. When I am washing the caked on sand off of them, they definitely smell of bone. (I have done quite a bit of sawing and sanding of modern bone ) So, my point is, fossils will most probably retain the same properties as fresh animal parts unless the cell structures have been completely replaced with mineral (petrified).

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The first thing that happens to bones (the rate for which is entirely dependent on the environment of deposition) is the denaturing and subsequent leaching of the collagen. This protein, when present, is what causes the characteristic 'burned hair' smell when burned.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I'm happy to have found the darn thing whether fossilized or not. Jeff and Jason may have awakened a vertebrate nut! Oh my, and I was doing so good with trying to limit my collecting!

Regards, Chris

I'm sorry Chris for your new interest...I guess now you'll have to change your user name.

Dorensigbadges.JPG