Taylor Ridge Nw Ga

carboniferous

Here are a few of the finds me and a friend made on a trip to Taylor Ridge a couple of weeks ago. Overall, we found two sites that day that yielded good fossils. They were all found in a purple/red layer that was anywhere from about 12 -24" thick. I'd like to track down any information on that layer at some point, so if anyone has any pointouts, they're appreciated!

post-10264-0-51543200-1384888328_thumb.jpg

post-10264-0-33068300-1384888705_thumb.jpg

post-10264-0-93420700-1384888716_thumb.jpg

post-10264-0-13820400-1384888729_thumb.jpg

Edited by carboniferous

Looks to be Silurian age Red Mountain Formation.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thanks, Mike! This was my first collection trip to this area & I'm looking forward to going back sometime soon.

In the old days, the most accessible location in Georgia for Red Mountain Formation was the south end of Ringgold Gap on I-75, however that entire area is now fenced off. I guess the Highway Patrol got tired of chasing fossil collectors away.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I think I read about that location recently. The sites we found were on the Black Springs Creek Rd just north of Summerville.

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

I own 50 acres that includes Taylor's Ridge where it meets I 75. It is posted and has trail cameras. I will prosecute any trespasses. Any trespasser in possession will be charged with theft.

• I found this Informative 2

I own 50 acres that includes Taylor's Ridge where it meets I 75. It is posted and has trail cameras. I will prosecute any trespasses. Any trespasser in possession will be charged with theft.

As is your right as the land owner, and we will absolutely respect that.

The code of ethics on this Forum are such that promoting trespass, or any other illegal activity, is grounds for immediate revocation of membership.

Thank you for taking the time to alert us (and our 30,000-45,000 unique visitors every month) to the status of your property.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As a european I always read about discussions on trespassing and land ownership with great interest.

I speak for myself of course when i say I'm thankfull these kinds of things virtually dont exist over here..

Always have a hard time judging between what is right and wrong.. I mean.. someone who has that vast area (something that doesnt exist here..) and has no interest in the fossils on his lands... why would he have a problem with fossils being saved for future generations? I mean.. think of all the fossils going to waste just because someone wants all his 500000 acres to himself... As a european that really sounds kinda strange..

I do think everyone should behave and not make a mess of the site but thats another story...

• I Agree 1

As a european I always read about discussions on trespassing and land ownership with great interest.

I speak for myself of course when i say I'm thankfull these kinds of things virtually dont exist over here..

Always have a hard time judging between what is right and wrong.. I mean.. someone who has that vast area (something that doesnt exist here..) and has no interest in the fossils on his lands... why would he have a problem with fossils being saved for future generations? I mean.. think of all the fossils going to waste just because someone wants all his 500000 acres to himself... As a european that really sounds kinda strange..

I do think everyone should behave and not make a mess of the site but thats another story...

There within, lies the proverbial "rub".

Not everyone behaves. And that's why there are rules and boundaries, which make judging between right and wrong much clearer.

Here's a hypothetical situation. I don't know Dr. Don Parker, but let's propose on that 50 acres he has several head of cattle, horses, a dog or two and his home and family. Let's also propose that on his 50 acres, some of the most prized fossils can be found and it became common knowledge that if you wanted to pull museum quality items from his section of Taylor Ridge, they were there for the taking. Now, Dr Parker has several automobiles pulling up with a number of people every day at all hours of the day, maybe even parking near his home. This starts his dogs barking, wakes his family (if it's early or late hours), and maybe even gives them a startle. Enjoying a quiet Sunday becomes out of the question. Visiting collectors, possibly not knowing better, begin to walk through his pasture on a regular basis. Being unaccustomed to farm or cattle, gates are being left open and livestock is now beginning to escape. And when most of us go collecting, we bring a bit of a snack and plenty of water right? I'm sure you pack your trash in and out, but not everyone does, so now Dr. Don is dealing with litter strewn about his property.

And I'm sure SOMEONE will have the brass to knock on his door to use the bathroom.

On top of this, if someone is injured on Dr. Parker's property, he is possibly liable for damages. Isn't that a pill?

So...and increase of people, a disturbed home life, property damage, litter, and possibly lawsuit. Does that make it a little clearer as to why, when someone has posted that they don't want anyone on their property, the mean what they say? It would be wonderful if people, as a whole, would just behave themselves but unfortunately, that doesn't happen much of the time.

I only say this because I grew up on a farm and I have a very small farm now in a secluded area. I have a very large German Shepherd who is a very sweet dog when introduced properly. But his bark can shake the roof and he does NOT like strangers walking up to the house. If I had strangers coming by several times a week, I'd call the authorities. The disturbance alone would be enough.

Maybe it's an American thing, but when we "colonials" acquire a large amount of property, we do it for a reason and we treasure that buffer we've created between ourselves and the rest of the world. Out here where I live, there are private beaches along the cliffs where you can collect like mad and the owners charge a small fee to access the area. Others simply don't want anyone on their part of the cliffs.

It's a big planet and a lot of things died way before we came along. There are plenty of places to go to find fossils without disregarding private property. Just my very long explanation. I hope it makes things a bit clearer. :D

Edited by cynroux
  • I found this Informative 3

Do not blame God for having created the Tiger, but thank Him for not having given it wings. ~ Indian proverb

Photos of Art, Pets, Fossils, Tattoos and General Mischief

• 8 months later...

I'm a resident of Ringgold. Lived here most of my life. While looking at the property map today due to a murder on the road near the property, I see that the fossil rich cut on Taylor's Ridge bordering I-75 is ACCORDING THE CATOOSA COUNTY GA GIS SYSTEM state/federal right of way land. It is apparently not owned by Dr. Parker but he does own the 44 acres bordering it.

Here's a link to the GIS system. http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/qpmap4/map.php?county=ga_catoosa&layers=parcels+roads+lakes#

Now, I would think getting the state/feds to give permission to access this property would be infinitely more difficult than with a private property owner. But those of you interested may wish to tilt at that windmill.

I'm not interested in that type of fossil hunting and limit myself to shark teeth. But just wanted to give those of you interested in this area a little information.

Dr. Parker is free to correct me if I am wrong and that towering terraced cut along the freeway is his personal property.

right of ways give permission for traffic use not unlimited use. We have a few acres with easements on two sides for roads. It would not be permissible for someone to dig a hole on our property because of the highway right-of-way easements. When you look on the tax maps or get a survey our property markers are on the middle of the road.

As far as european comparisons; perhaps europeans are a less litigious lot. Here if someone falls down your cliff or a rock busts their windshield they'll sue the property owner.

• I found this Informative 1

right of ways give permission for traffic use not unlimited use. We have a few acres with easements on two sides for roads. It would not be permissible for someone to dig a hole on our property because of the highway right-of-way easements. When you look on the tax maps or get a survey our property markers are on the middle of the road.

As far as european comparisons; perhaps europeans are a less litigious lot. Here if someone falls down your cliff or a rock busts their windshield they'll sue the property owner.

Could be an easement/right of way instead of actually state/federal land. Good point.

What is worse is the US courts that allow frivolous lawsuits against landowners.

If a trespasser falls into a well marked hole or a natural hazard the landowner can be held responsible.

It is a wonder that any landowner would let anybody on their land for any reason.

Tony

There is no parking allowed along Interstate 75, which is an extremely busy highway. Further, the roadside is fenced the entire length of the roadcut, likely to prevent rock from tumbling onto the road. In short, even if the face of the cut is state or federal property, there is no way to access it without crossing private property, including Dr. Parker's property.

Don

• 8 years later...

prem, as a former Cincinnatian I miss being able to collect Ordovician fossils.  I have observed that Ordovician outcroppings occur in the Ringgold area.  Would you happen to know of any locations in the area that are open to the public?  I live in Athens.  Secondly, my son and I were chased off of a road cut in Cincinnati by the Ohio Highway Patrol and was wondering if you might have any suggestions INRE Georgia law?  Any information would be appreciated.