Is It Possible To Find A Meg Embedded In Bone Like This?

MakoMeCrazy

I'm a little skeptacle of this one. Do you guys think that the meg was glued into the whale vert? Have you ever seen a tooth naturally embedded in bone like this?

post-6564-0-07045300-1385256475_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-43819400-1385256495_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-53105400-1385256596_thumb.jpg

Edited by MakoMeCrazy

this is a common "display" method for Megs with broken tips. Almost certainly assisted by a homo sapiens. But it is possible to find a tooth stuck in bone, however unlikely.

I had a friend that did that with all his broken ones.Anything is possible but it's not very probable.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Glued. I do it all the time, but always disclaimer that it is a piece of art and that they were not found together. If done right, it looks very real and natural ;)

I've seen this photo somewhere else. Who ever had made this stated they used a dremel tool to bore a hole and then glued a broken tooth inside.

Such "creations" are seen with multiple embedded megs or even with a meg and other fossil shark species.

Definitely looks glued. Look under magnification at the two areas where the cutting edges actually penetrate the bone. There should be at least a very slight cut in the bone in line with the cutting edges. The serrations are very worn on the part of the tooth which is outside the vertebra but would not have been water worn on the portion of the tooth that actually penetrated the bone. If you could see unworn serrations in the bone it could be real.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Ok, thanks everyone. I am definitely not interested in this piece anymore becuase it was glued. It looks pretty sweet to me, but I like shark teeth in their natural form.

It is definitely possible, and has been recorded in a published example: a Carcharodon hubbelli tooth stuck in a partial mysticete whale mandible from the early Pliocene of Peru.

http://palaios.sepmonline.org/content/24/5/329.abstract

I forget the museum but I have seen a squalicorx tooth embedded in a piece of bone.