Writing A Book - Suggestions Welcome

Haizahnjager

Hello Fellow TFF'ers,

For the past decade and a half, I have been collecting fossil shark tooth specimens from the U.S. East Coast (primarily in MD and SC) and find myself wanting to do something new with my collection every five years or so. Well, this time around I find myself considering assembling a book. I personally have what I consider a respectable collection, but more than that, I have been fortunate enough to have made many great friends who also share our affliction.

So, I ask you, the Forum, for advice. Keeping in mind that I am not a trained paleontologist, and therefore, will not be writing the next great technical book on paleochondrichthian phylogeny: what suggestions do you have, which may inform the contents (scope), format, etc. of such a book?

I envision the book to be photo-heavy, but hope to incorporate a more substantial, useful element to the reader. All suggestions are welcome and I would like to thank, in advance, those who contribute to the discussion. As I develop a firmer grasp on the scope of this book, I may also be asking for photo submissions of particular species - stay tuned...

Gratefully Yours,

Robert Campbell

(aka Haizahnjager,...which means "shark tooth hunter" in German in case you were wondering)

I think that the inherent beauty of shark teeth and the intrigue of their origin lends itself readily to a coffee table book. I recommend photos with explanations of what the person is reading with short descriptions of the species and perhaps the time frame they roamed the seas. I also think that a treatment of the locations you found the teeth in would be appropriate. Of course you wouldn't give away your secret spots, but a general discussion of the areas and the strata from which the teeth came would be interesting.

I think a book is a very good idea.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

mrieder79, thank you for your thoughtful comments. I am beginning to photograph my collection (in detail) while I collect ideas/comments, so I will be able to "hit the ground running" once plans for the format and contents are finalized. I do agree that a coffe table-style book would be a great looking book. I will have to look into pricing for printing such a book, but I agree, it should be in full color.

Thanks Again,

Rob

If you do it well enough, you may be able to get it published and have the publisher foot the bill. Maybe even make some money in the process.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

If you do it well enough, you may be able to get it published and have the publisher foot the bill. Maybe even make some money in the process.

Yes, that would be ideal indeed, but I am going to operate under the premise that it will be self-published (while still putting out the best product I can). Thanks again, mrieder79.

-Rob

This sounds like an awesome project.

My first thoughts would be to have a chapter on each state you plan to represent, with that sectioned into the different areas/collecting spots. You should be able to gather photos of not only the usually collected teeth butand with the help of a few forum memebers have the micros well represented as well.

A chapter on the toothed whales would be interesting as well as the not so common finds from the different areas.

Good Luck! I will be eagerly waiting to see where this goes from here.

Book Title: Prehistoric Sharks Of North America

Type: Informative Paleontology book for public.

Contents: Beginning with a short chapter on sharks, the next chapter is also a short one in which you discuss the process of fossilisation. Then you would move to the signs (fossils) of the sharks found in the present. The 4th chapter would be the core. It would include pictures of your finds with details you can deduce from them. For example, beginning with a C. Megalodon tooth, you would explain how it hints to the gigantic size of the fish and what would be the probable lifestyle of a sea monster like that. Make sure to include a few quotes by experts wherever you can find relevant noes.

Important Points To Keep In Mind: Make sure not to clutter the book with tech phrases or very in detail physiology of any shark. You are writing it for the public. That, and keep things as interesting as possible. Let science and fantasy go side by side all the way long.

Thank you for the great advice obsessed1 and Rait! I am super excited about this project and am working on getting the ideal photography set up, as we speak. I can see this project will be a great learning process.

-Rob