Are These Trilobites Real?

TyrannosaurusRex

seems so to me, looks like elrathia kingii. a lot of them have free cheeks still on. they look real to me, i bought one for about 13 US dollars at a farmers maket a while ago. if they are from utah then most likely they are real.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

they seem real... i am not that experienced with fakes but i think this looks real. there shouldn't be too much incentive to fake, elrathia kingii are quite common.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

the majority of those species of trilobites don't have their cheeks still attached, but they are also common, so not real reason to fake them. Hard to say. I wouldn't pay more than a couple bucks each for them. If they are real they look pretty good.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

If you don't mind me asking: what is the price?

$3 apiece for the first ones. The second one is $20. They are from different dealers. The second pic is from a very reputable dealer. I think...

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex

Reputable dealer and good price are 2 different things... Anyway I agree that none of them look fake, but they are probably the most widely available type of trilo so there should be no reason to fake them and they should be relatively cheap. You just need to decide how much you want to pay for complete but matrix-less specimens (or jewelry material?) of a common trilo. Also the size (pics can be deceiving if no scale included but these come in a range of sizes, smallest being the most common of course)

These trilobites are indeed real, they are the most common trilobites found in the wheeler shale in Utah. Here are a few we collected at U-Dig in Delta .

post-11020-0-33526100-1385826607_thumb.jpg

post-11020-0-74222400-1385826608_thumb.jpg

post-11020-0-17233500-1385826610_thumb.jpg

post-11020-0-03729800-1385826612_thumb.jpg

$3 apiece for the first ones. The second one is $20. They are from different dealers. The second pic is from a very reputable dealer. I think...

3$ a piece for the loose ones sounds within reason but $20 for the other is high in my opinion. I have bought nice ones still on matrix for that or less. Like everyone said, these are very common, so be patient and look for a better one on matrix at a good price. And by better I would say at least over an inch long, with all of its cheeks and on a nice piece of matrix.