A Week To Late

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

Im back!!!! Well Im back but im still without my fossiling mojo it seems. From what I heard last weekend was the good one, one lady found a 3 3/4 and a 3 1/4 inch meg. I knew it was a bad sign when we got to the marina and there were people there leaving in boats going fossiling! That was a first for me. When we got to the beach sure enough there was 8 people there, I guess we should have went to Brownies, at the time there was no one there.(Also the week before a 4.5" meg was found) Well like any other day we did what we had to do to find the teeth, to bad there were really no teeth there. Lots of bones and always with the low tide comes alot of verts, I picked up as many as I could, I feel that getting them out of the way is the best thing to do, so i quickly filled my bags up with bones. After about 3 hours I finally had some luck, walking slowly behind a guy i started to see teeth sticking out of some matrix, first a hemi then a sand tiger and finally a meg, well it looked broken but when I pulled it out to my suprise it was whole. Dad found 2 broken megs, a croc tooth and the smaller of the two makos. I found the other mako right next to our boat on the way out.

post-17-1230591269_thumb.jpg

post-17-1230591283_thumb.jpg

What is that in the upper center, I got something that looks like it but it is only one mouth?, I was thinking some kinda barnacle or something...

I always hear that same story you do about someone finding a spear point or 3 and a huge complete pot or six megs bigger than the one I posted in the ditch I was, havent seen any of those bigguns but sure hear alot about them, you keep going out looking it`ll be you they talk about at the boat landing with the 8 inch Meg lol

Nice finds as well you got some dandies looks like to me

The difference in serrations on the meg tooth are strange. Generally megalodon teeth have similar serrations along the whole tooth. The irregular serrations are characteristic of C. carcharias and Paleocarcharodon teeth.

Guest bmorefossil
The difference in serrations on the meg tooth are strange. Generally megalodon teeth have similar serrations along the whole tooth. The irregular serrations are characteristic of C. carcharias and Paleocarcharodon teeth.

yea the serrations are odd and the odd curve to the tooth when the root is straight.

Wow, you did have a nice day after all! Nice! I got out on Friday and found some nice verts. I found a broken meg, a nice upper antiolateral cow shark tooth, and a few hemis, a small mako, but the teeth were pretty slim pickins. I saw another 1/2 meg found and a very nice I. desori, and one guy walked up with a 4.5" meg too that he said he found that morning. He also said that his buddy found three the morning before. There were very low tides that day and the days prior...so I guess I was too late as well.

I will post pics once I find the memory card for my camera that I've lost. DOH!

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Wow, you did have a nice day after all! Nice! I got out on Friday and found some nice verts. I found a broken meg, a nice upper antiolateral cow shark tooth, and a few hemis, a small mako, but the teeth were pretty slim pickins. I saw another 1/2 meg found and a very nice I. desori, and one guy walked up with a 4.5" meg too that he said he found that morning. He also said that his buddy found three the morning before. There were very low tides that day and the days prior...so I guess I was too late as well.

I will post pics once I find the memory card for my camera that I've lost. DOH!

oh well, you came close, did the tooth look right or do you think he brought it with him?

oh well, you came close, did the tooth look right or do you think he brought it with him?

Dunno, but I was wondering that too. I've heard of a few people doing that. That tooth could have been 5" really, I just got a glimpse of it. It was definitely the biggest tooth that I've seen from that spot.

The tide was way out and it was still pretty early in the AM. If I had found a tooth like that then I'd have been looking for more of them for sure. He left kind of quick, but I guess people do have lives outside of fossil collecting :rolleyes: Also, it was almost perfect, no feeding damage, nice bourlette, nice serrations...and darker than most megs that I've seen from there. Maybe that's why he left, for fear of being robbed!

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Dunno, but I was wondering that too. I've heard of a few people doing that. That tooth could have been 5" really, I just got a glimpse of it. It was definitely the biggest tooth that I've seen from that spot.

The tide was way out and it was still pretty early in the AM. If I had found a tooth like that then I'd have been looking for more of them for sure. He left kind of quick, but I guess people do have lives outside of fossil collecting :rolleyes: Also, it was almost perfect, no feeding damage, nice bourlette, nice serrations...and darker than most megs that I've seen from there. Maybe that's why he left, for fear of being robbed!

or he was going somewhere else to find other teeth, saw that there were people there now and decided to leave.

or he was going somewhere else to find other teeth, saw that there were people there now and decided to leave.

Yeah, that could be too. But, I only saw four others all day long, and after 1 PM, I was along out there! It is nice to be the only one out there all day, and at that spot it's rare.

Kevin Wilson

Hummm, I wonder about doing night trips... Who needs sleep anyway? The more I think about it, the more I like it. I can get more collecting time in, still keep my job, still spend time with my family, and if I get tired just sack out on the beach for a bit!

Yeah, that's why I struggled to get out of the sack this morning to get to work :rolleyes:

Kevin Wilson

I would be happy to have some of that fossiling MOJO that you say you do not have. Because it looks like you still have some. B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!