Post Oak Creek

CreekCrawler

Nice arrowhead!! THeres so much gravel all thru that creek, you never know what might be in there. I wish I was just an hour closer to that place. 2 hr drive is tough during the week to make it thru all that traffic to get up there. When it warms up in the spring, I think I might make a bunch of trips up there to snif out the huge Ptychodus teeth.

Nice arrowhead!! THeres so much gravel all thru that creek, you never know what might be in there. I wish I was just an hour closer to that place. 2 hr drive is tough during the week to make it thru all that traffic to get up there. When it warms up in the spring, I think I might make a bunch of trips up there to snif out the huge Ptychodus teeth.

Let me know if you need a side kick and I'll make a special trip up from Houton. One of us needs to find the Holy Grail - a ptychodus the size of a golfball!!!

Ok, maybe that's a fantasy, but at least one that is a solid inch + across the base.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Let me know if you need a side kick and I'll make a special trip up from Houton. One of us needs to find the Holy Grail - a ptychodus the size of a golfball!!!

Ok, maybe that's a fantasy, but at least one that is a solid inch + across the base.

Y'all better call me when ya go !!!!!!!!!!! I'll be looking for the one the size of a biscuit!

Y'all better call me when ya go !!!!!!!!!!! I'll be looking for the one the size of a biscuit!

I think I might call into work sick next week if its warm and do some sifting!!! When I blink I see Ptychodus teeth. Is that a bad thing??? I wouldnt mind finding a arrowhead either.

I had a fun time yesterday at Post Oak Creek and here are some pictures of some shark teeth we found and the arrowhead.

Sheldon

Great finds, love the arrowhead. Welcome to the forum.

WOW! Golfball size! wouldn't that be something! I was was totally excited about the one I found Saturday that was maybe a little over 1/2 inch......I can't even imagine finding something that big. I'd probably fall into the creek from shock! :faint: LOL

Your right on the 2hr. drive, it's right at 2 hours from our house. Sheldon even had to take a nap on the way home, which is very unusual with him.

We plan to go again sometime, just not sure when, maybe on Spring Break and we can do a weekday trip.

I also, have every other Friday off at work, so if anyone wants to meet somewhere on a Friday, give me a holler.

Lyle

I had a fun time yesterday at Post Oak Creek and here are some pictures of some shark teeth we found and the arrowhead.

Sheldon

That's a great point. Congratulations. Always something to find at Post Oak Creek.

i'm seeing a pattern here and sensing an opportunity. what would the sherman authorities do to me if i set up a concession stand underneath that bridge? sell snowcones, sifters, hotdogs, shark teeth id guides, etc.

Guest bmorefossil
i'm seeing a pattern here and sensing an opportunity. what would the sherman authorities do to me if i set up a concession stand underneath that bridge? sell snowcones, sifters, hotdogs, shark teeth id guides, etc.

wait no tracer bobbleheads? Dang!!! I was going to come down if I could buy one of them.

Sheldon

the arrowhead is awesome, i must say in all my limited time of hunting poc i have only see one other arrowhead and a drill come out of the creek. Congradulations.

That sounds like a good idea. But, you might want to deliver to the hunters, and offer to trade the goods for fossils. Sounds like a good idea. A bit of a drive for you tho.

Sheldon

the arrowhead is awesome, i must say in all my limited time of hunting poc i have only see one other arrowhead and a drill come out of the creek. Congradulations.

\

Well here is another one for you to see from POC

Catahoula point I sifted up last year.post-417-1231203368_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

boy that thing is small, makes sense that you sifted to find it.

"A bit of a drive for you tho."

yeah, and there's no where nearby to land the lear...

but seriously, if ya'll could get something halfway interesting to look at on the drive twixt hither and yon, it would be ok. but after the giant statue of sam houston in huntsville, it's boring as heck except for all the podunk pd's trying to enhance their master-radar-slinger status. and everybody drives so tame in dallas, especially at night. and the roads even make sense. it's nothing like houston or san antonio or austin.

the only thing i worry about when i'm up in your area is sinkin' into some of your unstable eagle ford strata from the weight of all those fossils jumping into my pockets if i get out of the car.

"A bit of a drive for you tho."

yeah, and there's no where nearby to land the lear...

but seriously, if ya'll could get something halfway interesting to look at on the drive twixt hither and yon, it would be ok. but after the giant statue of sam houston in huntsville, it's boring as heck except for all the podunk pd's trying to enhance their master-radar-slinger status. and everybody drives so tame in dallas, especially at night. and the roads even make sense. it's nothing like houston or san antonio or austin.

the only thing i worry about when i'm up in your area is sinkin' into some of your unstable eagle ford strata from the weight of all those fossils jumping into my pockets if i get out of the car.

Boy you are full of excuses not to come, let tj drive, you sleep, then you will be rip and ready to hunt fossils when you get here.

\

Oh wow! that's a nice little point snakekeeper! I will definitely have to keep my eyes open for those arrowheads. I'm gonna have to train my eyes to look for other things besides teeth. I would love to find one of those. Let's do it again soon.

:rofl:

"I'm gonna have to train my eyes to look for other things besides teeth."

i've tried to train my eyes to tell my brain to examine anything that doesn't fit into the category of what to ignore. the idea there is to also find and examine anything i haven't seen before.

calibrate. calibrate. dance to the music... <snoopy dancing with an extra gyration to stand out against background dancers>

"I'm gonna have to train my eyes to look for other things besides teeth."

Not too hard to train your eyes for the tires. :) I remember seeing at least three this past weekend. Did find a couple of small glass bottles that I kept and a red/white marble that I found, but did leave the old beer bottle.

:)

Not too hard to train your eyes for the tires. :) I remember seeing at least three this past weekend. Did find a couple of small glass bottles that I kept and a red/white marble that I found, but did leave the old beer bottle.

:)

If your sifting here, I would say just pick up anything that looks intresting. Or sharp. Thats how I found that human tooth :D The part of the creek we were in had TONS of glass in it. I was going to start filling a 5 gallon bucket with the stuff, but didnt know what I would do with it. I guess just cleaning up nature.

Very nice photos, Lincoln looks quite urbane sitting in the memorial. The teeth are nice too. Grest finds I am envyous.

Gary T.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

Sheldon

arrowhead.jpg

teethandarrowhead.jpg

Nice point Sheldon,

"It looks like a Almagre or a Gary point. If Almagre maybe preform for the Langtry-Arenosa type Early Archaic, 6000-4500 BP.

Then it also looks like a Gary point 3200-1000 BP similar to Adena and slso to what we find in NC called a Morrow Mountain that had an earlier parallel flaking. Love to see a view of the thickness of the point.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Heys guys, I'm sure this is too short of notice for anyone to meet me there, but I'll be hitting up POC today 1-10-09 at around 11:25 at that same over pass. I'll post pics later on. On a side note, does anyone know where I can a scoop sifter? If you don't know what that is, it's about the size of a coffee can, with handle, the bottom half is sifter gauge wire. Anyways, maybe I'll see someone there?

PS. I've started putting scientific names with the species that come out of POC, get with me and I'll help anyone ID what they find. (I've got a few of the expensive orange books, =) ).

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

Good luck, it's cold today.Post some pictures of what you find.

I use this little sifter that I modified.They sell them ready to sift at Wallyworld.I cut the original plastic bottom out with my dremel and replaced it with 1/4 " galv mesh. It seems to evacuate water faster!Also since it's small 15 x 12"you can hold it up to the sunshine with one hand to see the material better.

Bpost-417-1231608385_thumb.jpg