Nice December Day

Archimedes

We got out collecting before the weather turned cold and rainy again and found some nice Gastropods from the Bangor Limestone, then when higher in the section and found a Taxocrinus from the Pennington Formation.

post-385-1230694546_thumb.jpg

Patellilabia marcouans (Keyes, 1894)

post-385-1230694516_thumb.jpg

Bellerophon chesterensis Weller, 1920

post-385-1230694555_thumb.jpg

Knightites (Cymatospira) welleri Thein and Nitecki, 1974

post-385-1230694567_thumb.jpg

Knightites (Retispira) ornatus (S. Weller, 1920)

post-385-1230694528_thumb.jpg

Euphemites cabonarius (Cox, 1857)

post-385-1230694583_thumb.jpg

Taxocrinus whitfieldi

Guest bmorefossil
We got out collecting before the weather turned cold and rainy again and found some nice Gastropods from the Bangor Limestone, then when higher in the section and found a Taxocrinus from the Pennington Formation.

awsome finds, was worth the wait, whats the long fossil in picture 1?

• New Members
awsome finds, was worth the wait, whats the long fossil in picture 1?

The long fossil is the cephalapod.

Awesome piece. I can't believe you got a split like that without having to repair anything. That's got to be a first for all time and all places.

The taxicrinus is a lot different than the Mississippian variety, isn't it?

great stuff!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

cool stuff. i thought that i'd look up the formations to learn a bit more, and found the following page, which, if i were more knowledgeable, would have clarified things for me, probably. i continue to study in hopes of someday having something to post other than "nice fossils". but those are nice fossils...

a link no doubt

I find the Petellibia very interesting. I used to find something very similiar to that in Northern california. The gastros are cool too, but the taxicrinus is really neat. I like the way its on the rock with such an exposed stem. Really neat. Id be smiling, thats for sure.

RB

I find the Petellibia very interesting. I used to find something very similiar to that in Northern california. The gastros are cool too, but the taxicrinus is really neat. I like the way its on the rock with such an exposed stem. Really neat. Id be smiling, thats for sure.

RB

What age are the Gastropods from California, Gastropods have 4-5 basic shell types throughout their long history, but vary in size and ornamentation.

What age are the Gastropods from California, Gastropods have 4-5 basic shell types throughout their long history, but vary in size and ornamentation.

Depending on what formation you are hunting in, you can find gastro's from the Holocene to Pliocene, Miocene and Eocene if you go up one state, all purty young as time goes, but still, some very neato fossils.

RB

The gastro's in this photo are between 5 and 6 inches in length. One of my better gastro rocks.

post-171-1230753337_thumb.jpg

Depending on what formation you are hunting in, you can find gastro's from the Holocene to Pliocene, Miocene and Eocene if you go up one state, all purty young as time goes, but still, some very neato fossils.

RB

The gastro's in this photo are between 5 and 6 inches in length. One of my better gastro rocks.

RJB, Those are really beautiful, I’m jealous :) , upper Mississippian Period Gastropods do not get that large, I was actually trying to find coiled Nautilods and these Gastropods I found are are found in the same rock unit.

RJB, Those are really beautiful, I’m jealous :) , upper Mississippian Period Gastropods do not get that large, I was actually trying to find coiled Nautilods and these Gastropods I found are are found in the same rock unit.

I wish I could help you with the Nautiloids,, How bout if I wish you lots of luck. By the way, may I ask what the size is of that taxocrinus? That fossil is just cooler than you know what!!! Im falling in love with the way the stem is soooooooo exposed!!!

RB

I wish I could help you with the Nautiloids,, How bout if I wish you lots of luck. By the way, may I ask what the size is of that taxocrinus? That fossil is just cooler than you know what!!! Im falling in love with the way the stem is soooooooo exposed!!!

RB

I did find 2 nautiloids that day will post one, the taxocrinus is 2 1/4 inches across the crown, will start claning it soon, it is very large for that genus

Guest N.AL.hunter

Nice finds Arch!! We are back and should soon be available for a trip. I bet the rains have washed a lot loose down in Hale County. Talk with you soon.

RJB, again your specimens make me drool!!