Fossil Digging On Private Land?

RareRocksAndGems

Unless it's in a densely inhabited area, I'd be surprised if it were flat-out illegal, but you should get a definitive answer from the local authorities. Complications like mineral rights, buried utilities, destruction/alteration of surface hydrology could involve at least permitting.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When it comes to collecting stuff I think the only big regulation that concerns private property regards grave sites, recent or prehistoric included. Otherwise like Auspex pointed out you should just check on any permitting related to excavating moving large amounts of soil and rock. For example if your digging is going to effect a stream you may have to do some mitigation (those low black barriers).

unless you violate some zoning ordinance or create a public disturbance that bothers neighbors, should not be a problem I would think.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

unless you violate some zoning ordinance or create a public disturbance that bothers neighbors, should not be a problem I would think.

I agree.

These guys seem to know more about the legalities of town living. As for the fossils, they are surface owners property, and you own them.

I'd like to emphasize that none of the above is legal advise, and that checking with the local authorities is the prudent route of due diligence.

Now, I have to ask: are you considering opening your own quarry? How cool would that be?!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Digging foir fossils on your own land shouldn't be an issue. What can be problematic is how you dig, the size area being disturbed and proximity to wetlands or streams. All states wil have different laws regarding excacations. The things I just mentioned are major considerations for excavations in Maryland. We can not disturb more than 5000 sq. ft. at one location without installing sediment control. Silt fences ect. Also be sure that you locate any utilities before digging as hitting something such as a gas line could not only ruin the fossils but could kill you as well. Check your laws carefully, be safe and find a ton of fossils.