Gainesville Forum Trip

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

Well my wife and I just got back from our all too short trip down to Florida. We looked for any posting about the trip before typing this one, and we did not find one, so we think the others are being kind and waiting for our posting (if not and there is another posting, sorry). This will start it off, and I'll post some pics later.

When we arrived at Oleno State Park near High Springs, Worthy came to the campsite right after we got the rig plugged into some power. We introduced ourselves and of course, like all good fossil hunters, he pulled out some of his collection and showed it to us. Now I must tell everyone about some of Worthy's fossils. He has some teeth that have a sheen to them like nothing I have ever seen before. They sort of look like a silver tiger's eye/cat's eye (the mineral). That is the best way for me to describe them. Very pretty, specially the mako with that effect.

We chatted for a short while then went looking for some other people from up here in my neck of the woods that we were supposed to meet there, but we did not find them. Turns out that we had gotten there before the others. Worthy stayed for a little while, and then we waited for the other members of our group to show up. I guess I should explain that we were meeting a co-worker and his friends down in Florida to do some canoeing/kayaking. However, when I told them about my day of planned fossil hunting with some of the forum members, they also wanted to go. They finally all managed to get in about 9 pm that night.

So the next beautiful morning (temps got to 81F or higher), we left camp and met Worthy, Anson, Cris, Rebecca Anne, and Hogstown at a pre-determined spot. This was our first meeting with these members, and they were all very impressed with me (ha ha). True to form and rumor, Anson was without shoes! I had brought along my co-worker and his wife and two of their friends. Only one of them had ever found fossil shark's teeth before.

So we all loaded up after viewing some more example fossils provided by Hogstown. The drive to the creek was short and soon we were unloading the equipment. The creek was a small one and soon we were all digging and sifting for our post Christmas goodies. Right off the bat we started finding some smaller specimens, and my very first shovel full had a small type of echinoid in it. So the day progressed with all of us slowly making our way up-stream, sifting at every gravel bar we saw. And after a little while, Pristiformes (?) or J---- (I remember his name but don't have permission to say it so that'll have to do) and his wife showed up to join in the dig. All together we had 7 forum members and 5 guests (unless J's wife is also a member).

So what did we find? Well I must be honest and say that once again, the large tooth god abandoned me and my wife. We did find some nice Hemis, and 140+ complete teeth, but no 2" makos or any megs. But the others did!! Several small megs were found and a couple of nice makos and at least one nice size tiger of some sort. Also, Worthy found some sort of three toed horse tooth. And that brings us to the big winner of the day, Worthy. He hit a sweet spot that netted him the best finds of the day. I'll let him show/tell you all what he dug out. Hogstown also found a nice little jaw section of a porpoise (?), which he left for me on the tailgate of my truck when he left. THANKS!! As a matter of fact, I was given several fossils during my trip, so thanks a lot to everyone (and specially Worthy who came by the campground two nights later bearing more gifts!) I did find a bone from a dugong, perhaps part of the flipper assemblage, but I do not know for sure, so I'll wait for the Id after posting a picture of it.

So that was the fossil part of our trip. We spent the next two glorious, warm, sunny days canoeing with my Alabama friends (plus several of their Florida and even more Alabama friends that showed up the next day, I believe 12 of us total). We went all the way down the Ichitucknee River/part of Santa Fe River and then did part of the Silver Springs River. Had a great time.

So once again, thanks to all the Fossil Forum members who were such generous hosts and guides. My wife and I will definitely be coming down again, and hope to have some more adventures with you all. It was a pleasure meeting all of you (finally). Delos

Your report really makes me wish I could go on more meet-ups; That Calvert Cliffs hunt that you & the Mrs. came up for remains one of the highlights of my year, and that's because of the company involved. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Del, that was a great report. :D It was really nice to meet everyone and to share some time fossil hunting together we need to do it again soon. I only took a few pictures , Anson took some so he will have to post his. :rolleyes: Well I am looking forward to the next hunt. B)B)B):D

post-23-1230776513_thumb.jpg

post-23-1230776598_thumb.jpg

post-23-1230776686_thumb.jpg

post-23-1230781438.jpg

post-23-1230782015_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Guest bmorefossil
Del, that was a great report. :D It was really nice to meet everyone and to share some time fossil hunting together we need to do it again soon. I only took a few pictures , Anson took some so he will have to post his. :rolleyes: Well I am looking forward to the next hunt. B)B)B):D

looks like you found some nice teeth, the mako is very nice.

Del was a great guy, very talkative. It's a shame he didn't find more than he did, but everyone did pretty well. Here is a group shot and a shot of Del and Worthy doing their thing in the creek..

post-1-1230779478_thumb.jpg

post-1-1230779517_thumb.jpg

Del was a great guy, very talkative....

Yeah, he'd be great to play poker with :P

(In truth, Del is one of those rare folks who have something to say).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Del was a great guy, very talkative. It's a shame he didn't find more than he did, but everyone did pretty well. Here is a group shot and a shot of Del and Worthy doing their thing in the creek..

So let me get this straight. You shark tooth hunter guys dig gravel out of creeks and screen them to get the sharks teeth.

I have never been sharks tooth hunting.

I have seen some on the ground in S.E. Colorado.

Is that how you collect most of them?

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Guest bmorefossil
So let me get this straight. You shark tooth hunter guys dig gravel out of creeks and screen them to get the sharks teeth.

I have never been sharks tooth hunting.

I have seen some on the ground in S.E. Colorado.

Is that how you collect most of them?

yes in most places, you can do that or dive, I get to walk the beach, enjoy the view and hope to find some teeth in my path.

yes in most places, you can do that or dive, I get to walk the beach, enjoy the view and hope to find some teeth in my path.

So are all the teeth you find fossil shark teeth, or are there new ones as well?

Guest bmorefossil
So are all the teeth you find fossil shark teeth, or are there new ones as well?

most are sharks teeth, but i find fish, land mammal, and marine mammal teeth

Guest Nicholas

Looks like a fun trip...

*sighs* you guys are in shorts and we're expecting blizzard conditions and blizzards with up to 3 FEET of snow over the next 5 days...

Guest bmorefossil
Looks like a fun trip...

*sighs* you guys are in shorts and we're expecting blizzard conditions and blizzards with up to 3 FEET of snow over the next 5 days...

sounds like fun! 3 feet of snow!!!!

most are sharks teeth, but i find fish, land mammal, and marine mammal teeth

No, I mean are they all fossils?

Guest bmorefossil
No, I mean are they all fossils?

sorry didnt read the "fossil" part, changes my whole answer, yes all are fossils but there have been new sharks teeth found.

sorry didnt read the "fossil" part, changes my whole answer, yes all are fossils but there have been new sharks teeth found.

Well, I think I could get into this Sharks tooth thing if I can find out about some exposures in Colorado.

Screening sounds fun and productive. I know nothing about them though.

Great!!! Starting over at 55.

How do I start?

Guest bmorefossil
Well, I think I could get into this Sharks tooth thing if I can find out about some exposures in Colorado.

How do I start?

good luck, i really know nothing about Colorado sharks teeth so I cant help

How do I start?

move to florida

I'm going to have to pursue this. Great!! More books.

You guys have a great new years. My wife is calling, I think she wants to play parcheasy or go fish, into the new year.

I'll let you know who wins.