Gainesville Forum Trip

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest bmorefossil
I'm going to have to pursue this. Great!! More books.

You guys have a great new years. My wife is calling, I think she wants to play parcheasy or go fish, into the new year.

I'll let you know who wins.

im sure there is always something online, ill see if i can find anything this morning.

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK, here are the pictures from our trip. Some are a little out of focus, sorry. The last one is of three fossils that were given to me. I included several pics of the possible dugong flipper bone. Anyone that can ID it for me, thanks!! I also included two pics of how we are decorating our house since I have mentioned it on chat before. The fossil room has not been done yet. Again, thanks to all for the great trip. I have nothing else to say!!

more

Top right in the 4th pic looks like a baby "beefsteak" clam mold; I have a few that are bigger than a softball, but I've never seen a baby before.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Top right in the 4th pic looks like a baby "beefsteak" clam mold; I have a few that are bigger than a softball, but I've never seen a baby before.

yea thats i small one, i didnt see the penny sitting there

house interior

Ooooh, heart of southern pine and a stone fireplace! Very cozy :)

What's the image on the neck tie?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

im sure there is always something online, ill see if i can find anything this morning.

OK, Sharks tooth hunting 101. I only have two sharks teeth in my collection.

The little one, I know I found in S.E. Colorado. The larger one, I am not sure

if I found it, or it was given to me.

Can anyone ID them?

Since I have zero knowledge of sharks teeth, this screening thing sounds intriguing.

I always wondered how you guys came back with a bucket load of teeth.

Also, If I were to get a book on sharks teeth, would there be the same specie here

in Colorado as in anywhere else, or would I need to look for Colorado specific?

Could someone suggest a good publication to start with?

post-1026-1230824079_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

It was a lot of fun. Thanks especially to HogtownFossil for showing us that section of the creek he calls "The Beach". That area was where all the sharks evidentially used to hang out, smoke cigarettes, and extract each others teeth back 12 million years ago. It was great to meet so many forum folks in one day!

Jason

OK, Sharks tooth hunting 101. I only have two sharks teeth in my collection.

The little one, I know I found in S.E. Colorado. The larger one, I am not sure

if I found it, or it was given to me.

Can anyone ID them?

Since I have zero knowledge of sharks teeth, this screening thing sounds intriguing.

I always wondered how you guys came back with a bucket load of teeth.

Also, If I were to get a book on sharks teeth, would there be the same specie here

in Colorado as in anywhere else, or would I need to look for Colorado specific?

Could someone suggest a good publication to start with?

What you have there are a "sand-tiger" (I'll leave it to others to be more specific) and <drumroll> a Meg (which, as far as I know, did not come from Colorado).

Figure out what marine deposits you're digging, and consult tooth ID references for that period.

I didn't mean to add another comment here, my computer is on the fritz apparently.

Here's some fossils from that afternoon.

The Durhamella floridana echinoid in the photo was given to me by HogtownFossil. Thanks very much Hogtown!

post-1000-1230825536_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

ah that poor meg, give it something to put on its bare. Hey what kind of land mammal tooth is that and is that a bird bone at the top right?

The larger tooth is a megalodon, the smaller could be one of several types of sand tiger. It could also be a mackerel shark, such as Cretalamna appendiculata. Here is a link for you about mostly early Pennsylvanian sharks. I didn't check out each individual link in it, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.itano.net/fossils.htm

There are also sharks known from the Greenhorn Formation (Cretaceous) which I would think yours is likely from

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Looks like a fun trip...

*sighs* you guys are in shorts and we're expecting blizzard conditions and blizzards with up to 3 FEET of snow over the next 5 days...

Yeah, but our juniors whooped their juniors yesterday at hockey!!!!!!

p.s. I deleted the double posts

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Hey,

Didn't want to break this thread, so I am starting a new topic for those that can give suggestions for sharks teeth for dummies.

Sorry, I am known for going down different rabbit trails.

Looks like you guys had an extremely fun and successful trip.

Can't wait to bag a load of sharks teeth myself.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

...is that a bird bone at the top right?

Doesn't look right (from the pic).

...Sorry, I am known for going down different rabbit trails...

Or rabbit holes? :P

Guest N.AL.hunter
Ooooh, heart of southern pine and a stone fireplace! Very cozy :)

What's the image on the neck tie?

The tie has Goofy and Mickey fishing.