The Father Of Modern Geology

DE&i

A Mr James Hall didn't ring any bells for me at first until i read about this very interesting gentleman.

http://m.timesunion.com/local/article/James-Hall-1811-1898-Father-of-modern-geology-4981095.php

Regards,

Darren.

• I found this Informative 1

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/outfossiling

Mr. Hall seems to have had a distinguished career with many ground-breaking (no pun) accomplishments, but in 1793, William Smith "discovered" correlative stratigraphy, which pave the way for all who followed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Correlative stratigraphy...ive read a simplified paper on the newly discovered stratigraphy theroy from William Smith . It seems geologists and the like owe him a big favour.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

James Hall was a great Victorian scientist who not only discovered and named a ton of new fossils but wrote the book (several books) on geology/paleontology based on his observations here in NY. I have most of his volumes in my library and I dig at localities he worked on and collected at over a hundred years ago.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Mikey you must feel very privileged I've often wondered what NY had to offer on all thing's fossil's. The history of the museums are something id like to see first hand. When my daughter is of a..take the sights in age...ill have to bring my family over for a visit.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

That would be very cool Darren. My daughter collects with me all the time and we have a small collection from the other side of the pond (Ammonites from the Yorkshire coast). Check out my facebook page Miglietta Museum of Natural History. I have many fossils from NY pictured there as well as my English Ammonites.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

• 10 years later...

James Hutton was undoubtedly a pivotal scientist when it came to putting the age of the Earth in the context of the Age of Enlightenment because his observation of rock formations in the British Isles gave him reason to call into question James Ussher's estimate of the Earth being 6,000 years old, since he had a feeling that the Earth was older than Ussher believed.

The Chinese in ancient and medieval times independently assessed the Earth as way older than what Ussher believed,. In his 11th century work Dream Pool Essays, Chinese scholar Shen Kuo believed that the existence of fossils of extinct species showed that climates had changed in the past, and he deduced that the landscape evolved over time, due to erosion and uplift.

• I found this Informative 1

Much thanks  , DD, as a bit of a historian of geology that is such interesting information for me to get .

Some insight, from the 11th century, to boot.

Ben