Is This Common ?

worthy 55

Not at all common, but I have seen it. Notice that it's not just the enamel!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Whether that constitutes a pathology depends on your definition of "pathology".

(I tend to think of it as a deformation caused by trauma or disease).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Why are you keeping that wrinkley old thing?

Since you deserve better, and I don't, send it to me :)

Tracer, I don't know but maybe some one on the forum can help ? I would like to know myself. B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

Guest bmorefossil
I also found the same thing on one of my GW teeth. B)B)B):D

i think its more common on the back of the teeth for some reason

I've got a few teeth with that kind of 'pathology' too. I'd be very interested to know if it manifests in modern sharks. And if it does, what is the cause. It could end up meaning anything from prey habits too age of individual, or just some kind of anomaly in the tooth's creation, sharks are after all tooth factories.

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

Several of my teeth have these wrinkles as well, both Mako and GW. With 1 exception, the ridges are on the back (labial) side and it seems to only be on the larger teeth. That being said, I also have large teeth with no wrinkles. The only modern GW I have does show some sign of the wrinkles, but not as dramatic as on the fossils.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil

yes they are not on every tooth and I think I said this already they seem to be on teeth over 2", for some reason I have more teeth with the wrinkles on the back than the front, I alson have some teeth that have wrinkles just on the tooth or just on the root. These teeth are usually smaller than 2", this might show that they grow into a tooth that has the wrinkles on booth.

Well I guess someone needs to do a study on why these teeth get the wrinkles huh. Very interesting! Thanks for the input guys. B)B)B):D

post-23-1231722664_thumb.jpg

post-23-1231722703_thumb.jpg

post-23-1231722751_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Guest bmorefossil

yea ill be going through my teeth tonight to see what i can find with the wrinkles, hey if we can get enough together we might be able to create a theory

I've got a few teeth with that kind of 'pathology' too. I'd be very interested to know if it manifests in modern sharks. And if it does, what is the cause. It could end up meaning anything from prey habits too age of individual, or just some kind of anomaly in the tooth's creation, sharks are after all tooth factories.

Yes, that it good to take into consideration. A number of people have mentioned that these occur in larger sharks. I would assume that larger sharks mean larger prey. Large prey require more jaw extention to bite and swallow. Remember sharks jaws are made from flexible cartilage. Teeth that would just be forming could receive a bit of a squeeze from the jaw extending and other teeth pushing them together. Just a hypothesis :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

that's an interesting hypothesis. i've been wondering about this and trying to figure out how enamel forms in a "rippled" manner without cracking - guess i'd better go research enamel formation some...

Guest bmorefossil
Yes, that it good to take into consideration. A number of people have mentioned that these occur in larger sharks. I would assume that larger sharks mean larger prey. Large prey require more jaw extention to bite and swallow. Remember sharks jaws are made from flexible cartilage. Teeth that would just be forming could receive a bit of a squeeze from the jaw extending and other teeth pushing the together. Just a hypothesis :D

i think it has something to do with the teeth as they are moving into position, the shark is going to be growing and teeth are going to be filling in as teeth fall out, i think if a tooth moves into place as it is still growing it causes this wrinkle in the tooth.

I was thinking that it could be the "age factor", if there is such a thing, with the wrinkles on sharks teeth. Now, some on this topic have stated that some large teeth don't have wrinkles and some do.

Perhaps(and don't yell at me :P), wrinkles only form in larger, more older specimens only. Juvenile, or other sharks still in their prime, I suppose, would produce fairly large teeth, but would not be old enough to form the wrinkles.

P.S. Just an idea.

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

i think it has something to do with the teeth as they are moving into position, the shark is going to be growing and teeth are going to be filling in as teeth fall out, i think if a tooth moves into place as it is still growing it causes this wrinkle in the tooth.

Didn't see your post there Bmore :P. Your idea sounds better than mine in retrospect...oh well... :rolleyes::P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Not at all common, but I have seen it. Notice that it's not just the enamel!

Wrinkles occur in a number of species, and are diagnostic in Isurus retroflexus, Cretodus borodini, and Palaeogaleus vincenti, for examples from Kent. Kent describes the I. retroflexus condition as "short vertical wrinkles along basal margin of labial coronal surface."

Of course, Kent is describing wrinkles in the enameloid of the crown. What makes Worthy's teeth interesting are the wrinkles extending beyond the crown into the root.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Could it be a carential of some kind? I`ve read about the wrinkles and signs on human and predatory mammal tooth (both extinct and extant), as a leakeage of some proteins/vitamins.Famine sometimes? Egg period famine?

Could it be that, as they were so big, and the preys have to be aswell very big, they must be less number of preys?

Perhaps, this fishes must have stay a loooooong time feeding on smaller preys (without good source of vitamin-protein), or even without eating from time to time.

This can be my theory. B)