Is This Common ?

worthy 55

All your points have merit :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We've uncovered a deep shark mystery here folks. Be careful who you speak with about this...who knows how high up this goes?

The wrinkles by also have something to do with tooth shape and use, I'd be interested to see what position the teeth are in that get the wrinkles.

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

i kinda wondered if it was like an auto-sizing function or something to keep growing teeth from having too much lateral crowding in the jaw or something. keep the rows all straight and everything. you know, "oops! our lobes touched! excuse me - i'll just wrinkle a bit until i can get the growing halted." some kinda dentin courtesy thing.

I've actually got a lot of Isurus hastalis, Isurus planus, and Carcharodon teeth with wrinkles; makes sense, as they're all fairly closely related.

Bobby

Guest bmorefossil
I've actually got a lot of Isurus hastalis, Isurus planus, and Carcharodon teeth with wrinkles; makes sense, as they're all fairly closely related.

Bobby

yep, i wonder if you can find them on teeth like otodus, does anyone know?

i have noticed this on paleocarcharodon teeth from morocco. here is and example

tooth

Brock

A mouthful of teeth like that would be hard to floss... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

and i just remembered i posted a topic awhile ago on how my giant thresher had these, someone actually had a name for it.

Just caught up with this thread.

Crenulations are also very common on juvenile teeth, intermediate and posterior, and adult Striatolamia teeth, among others.

The grubby yellow tack is less sticky than new stuff.

post-45-1232145421_thumb.jpg

post-45-1232145432_thumb.jpg

post-45-1232145446_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

No idea, but I did include Adult, above. I don't recall seeing it on medium sized Striat' teeth, but you can certainly find it on small and large ones. With regards to large teeth, I've only seen it on posteriors. I'll have a look through my teeth later.

(For Tracer, "---my teeth" refers to my collection of shark teeth) :D

KOF, Bill.

(For Tracer, "---my teeth" refers to my collection of shark teeth) :D

well, ok, bill, but if i were you, i wouldn't look "through" your teeth later. if you look at your teeth rather than through them, you're more likely to see that which you wish to see.

gotcha! and it's not even literal thursday! :P

Guest bmorefossil

come on! you should know by now that Bill has x-ray vision (im sure he uses for stuff other than fossils :P ) so when he looks through the teeth he can see the crenulations without moving a tooth!!! I wish I could do that.

well, ok, bill, but if i were you, i wouldn't look "through" your teeth later. if you look at your teeth rather than through them, you're more likely to see that which you wish to see.

gotcha! and it's not even literal thursday! :P

Doh! :faint:

KOF, Bill.

Unfortunately both of these Striat' teeth are broken, so I don't know how big they would have been. They would have been a fair size though. The field of view is 10mm. The crenulations don't show up as well in the pic's as in the hand.

post-45-1232232225_thumb.jpg

post-45-1232232248_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

So it seams to be kinda common but we still have no clear answer for what causes them? B)B)B):D

post-23-1233430503_thumb.jpg

post-23-1233430570_thumb.jpg

post-23-1233430595_thumb.jpg

post-23-1233430651_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Guest bmorefossil
So it seams to be kinda common but we still have no clear answer for what causes them? B)B)B):D

yep thats about it, i found out its very common on teeth around 50million years old