Clawed Out A Phymosoma

JohnJ

Tuesday I had the chance to visit the Lower Cretaceous. I found my best Phymosoma (I think) yet, and I found my largest crab claw fragment.

post-420-1230813257_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813360_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813411_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813532_thumb.jpg

I probably should show the other side of the echinoid...... :D

post-420-1230813618_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813647_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813674_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

"I probably should show the other side of the echinoid."

and the Velvet Hammer strikes again...

can i caddy for you?

Excellent finds, JohnJ...

I have never found an echinoid with some

of the spines next to it... I find that very cool...

It's in really great shape too.

Welcome to the forum!

I guess the associated spines would indicate either a very low-energy deposition or a very rapid entombment, or a critical combination of both.

Very nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
I guess the associated spines would indicate either a very low-energy deposition or a very rapid entombment, or a critical combination of both.

Very nice!

nice finds, it could have also fell into a hole from there sediment fell in and coverd it up

it's really unimaginable to me how much some confusion there is about what people's earballs and eyebones show them when viewing fossil dvds (they're not records anymore). obviously, this find is important evidence of the fact that certain echinoids constructed stilt homes using the remains of adversaries upon which they predated. unfortunately, these echinoids existed in unregulated societies, and so were at times felled by collapses due to a lack of building codes.

Nice finds!!

Did you get them down near Ft. Hood area?

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

it's really unimaginable to me how much some confusion there is about what people's earballs and eyebones show them when viewing fossil dvds (they're not records anymore). obviously, this find is important evidence of the fact that certain echinoids constructed stilt homes using the remains of adversaries upon which they predated. unfortunately, these echinoids existed in unregulated societies, and so were at times felled by collapses due to a lack of building codes.

(The small aliens in the locker in Men in Black II come to mind. ) :P

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It was found on banks heavily used by fishermen. ;)

Somehow I was able to pry this specimen from John's hands today and now it resides in my garage, mua ha ha. Excellent specimen, rather rare for the Lower K of TX. However if regular echies with articulated spines are anyone's objective, I'd suggest the Brownwood Spillway for Archaeocidaris (Pennsylvanian). Finding the right layer is easy as evidenced by innumerable spines broken in section. Digging straight into the face of the exposure on 4 sides in effort to secure the biggest slab possible of friable shale in this layer, however, is far from easy...good luck with that y'all.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Tuesday I had the chance to visit the Lower Cretaceous. I found my best Phymosoma (I think) yet, and I found my largest crab claw fragment.

post-420-1230813257_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813360_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813411_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813532_thumb.jpg

I probably should show the other side of the echinoid...... :D

post-420-1230813618_thumb.jpg

post-420-1230813647_thumb.jpg

Wow, nice paguroid and Phymosoma :wub:

Congratulations.

post-420-1230813674_thumb.jpg

Somehow I was able to pry this specimen from John's hands today and now it resides in my garage, mua ha ha....

Hey...wait...(going to check). Pretty good, Dan. I had to go make sure it was still HERE!

Wow, nice paguroid and Phymosoma.

MB, you think this is part of a hermit crab claw?

Sweet finds, John. I think I figured out your secret. That walking stick is a divining rod. :P

My 20 year old, hand carved, bois d'arc hiking staff is far from anything divining. However, it may explain why those that collect too close to me walk with a limp...... :faint:;)

post-420-1230950724_thumb.jpgpost-420-1230950753_thumb.jpgpost-420-1230950909_thumb.jpgpost-420-1230950930_thumb.jpgpost-420-1230950958_thumb.jpg

That is a awesome find, you better put it under lock and key, it looks like, if you don't want it to grow legs and take a hike to see Dan.