Sharkstooth Hunting 101

Dave Daniel AKA (Bones)

OK, Sharks tooth hunting 101. I only have two sharks teeth in my collection.

The little one, I know I found in S.E. Colorado. The larger one, I am not sure

if I found it, or it was given to me.

Can anyone ID them?

Since I have zero knowledge of sharks teeth, this screening thing sounds intriguing.

I always wondered how you guys came back with a bucket load of teeth.

Also, If I were to get a book on sharks teeth, would there be the same specie here

in Colorado as in anywhere else, or would I need to look for Colorado specific?

Could someone suggest a good publication to start with?

post-1026-1230827202_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

The larger tooth is a megalodon, the smaller could be one of several types of sand tiger. It could also be a mackerel shark, such as Cretalamna appendiculata. Here is a link for you about mostly early Pennsylvanian sharks. I didn't check out each individual link in it, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.itano.net/fossils.htm

There are also sharks known from the Greenhorn Formation (Cretaceous) which I would think yours is likely from

The above quote is from the original thread. As for books, I don't know Colorado geology too well. You would be best to get either a general book on teeth or one such as "The collectors guide to fossil sharks and rays from the Cretaceous of Texas" (Welton and Farrish). The age would be appropriate and I'm sure some species could also be found in CO. I don't know of any specific to Colorado.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

OK, Sharks tooth hunting 101. I only have two sharks teeth in my collection.

The little one, I know I found in S.E. Colorado. The larger one, I am not sure

if I found it, or it was given to me.

Can anyone ID them?

Since I have zero knowledge of sharks teeth, this screening thing sounds intriguing.

I always wondered how you guys came back with a bucket load of teeth.

Also, If I were to get a book on sharks teeth, would there be the same specie here

in Colorado as in anywhere else, or would I need to look for Colorado specific?

Could someone suggest a good publication to start with?

I'm not familiar with Colorado either, but a good book is "Fossil Shark Teeth of the World" by Joe Cocke. btw nice teeth!

there are two ways to go about shark tooth hunting. the first is to travel to known prolific locations, wherever they may be, which will cost time and money but probably be very fruitful. the second concept would be to identify the closest locations to you that might have some teeth and search harder for less reward. tj's done both, and much prefers the former, but we for a number of reasons just can't go hang out on the east coast to rake in the teeth.

so anyway, if you're like us in that regard, then i'd try to decide how far your willing to regularly drive, and then start researching all formations within that distance from you, to see what they contain. you might find cool stuff other than shark teeth too. once you find formations that allegedly contain shark teeth, then you just look at geological maps to see where the formations crop out and start hitting them.

I'm not familiar with Colorado either, but a good book is "Fossil Shark Teeth of the World" by Joe Cocke. btw nice teeth!

The little guy I found. Since the larger guy seems to be a Meg. isn't it only found on the coastal areas?

Since I have not hunting down on the beach anywhere, it is unlikely that I found this one. It must have been given to me.

I am going to be coming down to Dallas on business for a few days and to help my mom and dad fix a leak in their roof.

I am going to be getting together with Fruitbat, kinda a reunion since we haven't seen each other in about 20 years and

to do some fossil hunting possibly at the NSR.

Also will be getting with long time DPS friend Nacho, if anyone remembers him.

Anyway, does anyone have a creek or site that they could turn me on to in the Dallas area to try this sharks tooth screening deal.

By the way, FYI, I spoke with Fruitbat (Joe) a couple of days ago. He has been in the hospital with pneumonia.

He is out and feeling better.