Looking For Info On Ny Trilobites

Ramo

OK, I've been researching and found that there is a place called Penn Dixie south of Buffalo that is famous for finding Trilobites. Unfortunately I think it is going to be closed when I'm there (early next week). However there is a place callled 18 mile creek, and the Lake Erie cliffs that also have trilobites. Has anyone on here been to any of these places and have any advice for me?

Thanks,

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Penn-Dixie has been well picked over.

THIS page has some good links to some out of the way places in Upstate.

I disagree thnat pen dixie has been picked over. It still has lots of good layers and tons of rock to split. The guy who curates it is nice too. I recommend emailing him asking if you can still dig - he might let you. If you don't have his email I can find it for you. I dug there a year ago and people were finding several complete triilos a day , and tons of pieces. I wouls say that 18 mile creek is more picked over that pen dixie but you can still find stuff there especially at the mouth of the creek at the lake. I also recommend smokes creek if you are in the area. Contact me off-list for more info. tell_mike@hotmail.com. The webiste solius gave you is a good source, I might be able to tell you which of the sites there are worth going to.

Thanks for the info guys. The Fossil Hunter- I've sent you an e-mail.

I'll be sure to post some pictures next week when I get back home.

Ramo

-Aldo Leopold

Hi Bowkill - the best bet is Lake Erie shore - past the mouth of 18 mile creek (where the creek empties into lake Erie). You can hike the lake shore for a few hours collecting as you go. If you are familiar with the stratigraphy, then it's pretty easy to trace the trilobite beds along the cliffs. If not, try to hook up with someone from the Buffalo Geological Society - http://www.bgsny.org/. The state has erected a free parking site on Old Lake Shore Rd. for folks to safely park in for fishing and fossil collecting.

I normally would be happy to meet you at the Lake and show you the ropes, as I live 25 min away, but will be traveling for work next week... best of luck to you!

Thanks for all the info I'm planning on being at the mouth of 18 Mile creek next Tuesday.

-Aldo Leopold

the path along the creek at the very mouth is narrow. you might have to wet your feet in the cold water. consider wearing waterproof boots or waders

OK, I've been researching and found that there is a place called Penn Dixie south of Buffalo that is famous for finding Trilobites. Unfortunately I think it is going to be closed when I'm there (early next week). However there is a place callled 18 mile creek, and the Lake Erie cliffs that also have trilobites. Has anyone on here been to any of these places and have any advice for me?

Thanks,

Ramo

My dad and I hunted the Penn Dixie site for trilos when I was a wee lad. I still have some trilobites from that area. The Rochester Museum and Science Center (in Rochester, NY) may have some advice for hunting that area. We went as part of a group guided by RMSC staff. I don't remember much about it besides chiseling, lots of chiseling and moving large rocks.

Best of luck!

Jason

Well, I'm back home now and have a picture from 18 mile Creek. Can you guess how many fossils I found?

That's right. None, but I can now say I have been to the site. If I ever make it back up that way again hopefully it will be during better weather.

Thanks to all that gave advice and suggestions.

post-40-1231543825_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold