Please Help Id

nosuchlogic

Found in Newberry,Ca. I have all angles of this photographed, so I can post different angles of it.4in height approx 6 in long.Thank you. The picture on the top please disregard.post-13944-0-83646900-1387727964_thumb.jpg

I see a bit of a mash-up; there is an area of organized pores which could be bryozoan or coral, and the segment-like pattern could be cephalopod. This makes me wonder whether it might not be a weathered chunk of fossiliferous seafloor matrix.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Concur with Auspex

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thank you both for your responses Thanks to the two of you I will run with this information..and my excitement, simply pleased that (I) had found it.It being rare or too common..not important. I was excited when I first found it, and I will retain that excitement. This is so new to me and I have been taking some time to understand some things.Like my neighbor who is a rock club president.He has taught me that rock club members are not that deep into fossils, unless it can be turned into some kind of pretty jewelry and sold for a profit. And therefore their knowledge is limited to the things that interest them in such a manner.(No insults intended)He has also in person shown me what a "leavearightthere" rock is. Sadly this also affected my interest in rocks in general.I used to pick up the ones that caught my eye.But after him showing me that I began second guessing my finds totally throwing in the dirt the excitement and pleasure I had been used to feeling.Well I gave away a lot of my finds until I thought to stop.And now I am happily picking up my interests,again content with my excitement.So now, in time I will be posting an occasional find here and there and will read every response and not ever be disappointed with what I read.Oh, me and my neighbor are still great friends too.Thanks again!

It is hard to discourage a strong sense of wonder, else we would all soon conform to someone else's ideas of 'worth'. Keep the faith! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I always pick up anything I see that interests me, if it proves to be nothing, you can always put it in your rock garden. And welcome.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The more I learn, the more I value. Often what we pick up seems like nothing until we understand the history and deeper meaning of "that funny looking rock"