My First Find Of The Year

TroyB

This is my first find of the year. I believe it is from a rare mosasaur called "Globidens Dakotensis". I found it in central Texas area. It has the root section still attached. So Cool.....

Tank

post-944-1230997091_thumb.jpg

post-944-1230997103_thumb.jpg

Tankman

Wow! this is a De ja vu.

I found a piece similar 15 years ago in the Oligocene of all places. Never ID it.

post-1026-1230998629.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Wow! this is a De ja vu.

I found a piece similar 15 years ago in the Oligocene of all places. Never ID it.

Well, TroyB's tooth really is a Globidens (very rare, and fully rooted too).

Since I'm pretty sure there were no Mosasaurs in the Oligocene, yours must be something else. Since I can't seem to enlarge your pic for detail, and have nothing for scale, I can't hazard a guess.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, TroyB's tooth really is a Globidens (very rare, and fully rooted too).

Since I'm pretty sure there were no Mosasaurs in the Oligocene, yours must be something else. Since I can't seem to enlarge your pic for detail, and have nothing for scale, I can't hazard a guess.

Ours do look similar.

At risk of not showing my ignorance, I have never show it to anyone.

I will tell you I have found a Crock skull in the same area.

enlighten me Yoda.

Guest Nicholas
Ours do look similar.

At risk of not showing my ignorance, I have never show it to anyone.

I will tell you I have found a Crock skull in the same area.

enlighten me Yoda.

Yoda here,

Cross formation contamination. :)

Yoda here,

Cross formation contamination. :)

Not possible. This and the crock were found flat dab in the middle of brule.

There isn't a possibility of float from upper layers and was half way up the formation of the oreodon beds.

Next suggestion?

There was at thread last year about a tooth from the Brule that looked a lot like this one; I recall that one member said that it was a ringer for a tooth that was missing from a mammal skull he'd found there (sorry, can't recall the names of the players, nor of the critter).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest N.AL.hunter

Nice!! All we have ever found are the enameled parts, no roots. The only whole enameled ones we have found have been rather small, but I have found pieces of much larger specimens that tease me to what is out there. Found mine in Mississippi at the Frankstown site.

WOW very nice. I am jealous :)

This is my first find of the year. I believe it is from a rare mosasaur called "Globidens Dakotensis". I found it in central Texas area. It has the root section still attached. So Cool.....

Tank

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Do you think that this could be the same or just a worn down whale tooth? :unsure::unsure:

Take a look at the wrinkles in the enamel of TroyB's tooth; that feature is classic Globidens.

Wow! this is a De ja vu.

Do you have, or can you take, more pictures of this tooth (with something for scale)?

The earlier thread I mentioned re: similar badlands tooth is:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...c=2732&st=0

Do you have, or can you take, more pictures of this tooth (with something for scale)?

The earlier thread I mentioned re: similar badlands tooth is:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...c=2732&st=0

I took a look at that thread. The tooth that Joe mentions is probably a Hyracodon tooth. However, they are curfed on the inside of the tooth

like any other mammal incisor. I have several of these skulls. The tooth that I have is a perfect round ball on the end.

Thanks for taking the time to find the thread though.

Heres a picture for scale.

And a picture of one on my Rhino's

post-1026-1231035498_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1231035518_thumb.jpg

Do you think that this could be the same or just a worn down whale tooth? :unsure::unsure:

Looks to me like a worn whale tooth, Worthy. Does it not have crenulations in the enamel?

post-42-1231035822_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Troy's is definitely from the cretaceous.

As for the other, very similar looking one, looks like something I saw in the mouth of a dude I encountered at a gas station in Louisiana last year... B)

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Thanks for all the reply's.

This tooth came from Upper Cretaceous material, around 72-80 milllion years old, in central Texas. I usually find shark teeth there and occassionally a meat eating Mosasaur teeth, but this is the first shell/clam eating Mosasaur tooth I have ever found and heard of from Texas.

Troy B.

Tankman

Guest bmorefossil

Tank

awsome tooth, good way to start the year.