My First Find Of The Year

TroyB

This is my first find of the year. I believe it is from a rare mosasaur called "Globidens Dakotensis". I found it in central Texas area. It has the root section still attached. So Cool.....

Tank

Cool find Troy. Are you going to bring it to the meeting this month?

well, darn. now, after googling "fish teeth" images, i want some goliath tiger fish teeth.

but sheepsheads are funny sheepshead

hey look! it's jax's human tooth.

We had a thread discussing the similarity of Globidens teeth to other early teeth.

Here is an image that 'geofossil' posted -- what do you think these are?

post-42-1231191324.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest bmorefossil

they are fish teeth right? some look close to drum others im not sure.

We had a thread discussing the similarity of Globidens teeth to other early teeth.

post-42-1231191324.jpg

there croc...?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

there croc...?

I argued that several of 'geofossil's teeth looked to be Globidens. I don't remember who all was involved in the discussion besides 'geofossil', but they argued successfully that these are crocodilian posterior teeth. I'm sure a search would turn up the thread, if you're curious.

What seest thou else

I argued that several of 'geofossil's teeth looked to be Globidens. I don't remember who all was involved in the discussion besides 'geofossil', but they argued successfully that these are crocodilian posterior teeth. I'm sure a search would turn up the thread, if you're curious.

I agree that several (but not all) look like Globidens.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i would say that harry is correct. i posted a few pictures of some eocen croc teeth that look nearly identical to yours. and from the time frame that is the only real option. size fits as well. still a rare find in the white river fm.

Brock

Guest bmorefossil
I agree that several (but not all) look like Globidens.

is there any chance for a size on these teeth? the teeth in the picture look really small.

hey look! it's jax's human tooth.

actually, i think the biggest argument regarding the origin of that tooth is the cavity. not all critters get cavities. don't think it's from a fish...

If you don't mind, could someone circle some of the teeth you feel are questionable as to whether they are globidens or crocs? I have several teeth that I thought were just some type of crushing fish teeth but they are much longer than drum teeth. So I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Guest bmorefossil
If you don't mind, could someone circle some of the teeth you feel are questionable as to whether they are globidens or crocs? I have several teeth that I thought were just some type of crushing fish teeth but they are much longer than drum teeth. So I'm just curious.

Thanks,

are they flat like drum teeth or are they long like croc teeth? If your finding them at PCS they could be tautog

Thanks,

i believe all the pictured teeth are croc.

Brock

i believe all the pictured teeth are croc.

Brock

I'd really like to see some Globidens teeth from Mississippi. Here are some Globidens teeth from Morocco.

post-42-1231267491_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

If you don't mind, could someone circle some of the teeth you feel are questionable as to whether they are globidens or crocs? Thanks,

These are two that I thought looked rather Globie-like, mostly due to the "jiz" of the shape and my perception of "wrinkley" crowns (which may be pixellation, as I learned when I tried to enlarge the photo to mark it).

On Brock's weighing-in, I became 100% sure that I am wrong :blush:

post-423-1231274681.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

auspex, the reason i say they are all croc is that they are from teh hell creek or lance creek formation if i remember correctly. which aren't marine environments. lakes and rivers yes but no mosasaur territory.

Brock

auspex, the reason i say they are all croc is that they are from teh hell creek or lance creek formation if i remember correctly. which aren't marine environments. lakes and rivers yes but no mosasaur territory.

Brock

That would do it! (Unless he got 'em mixed up with some Fox Hills material :P )

I bought (sight unseen, good price) what a fella' called a "bird tooth" from Hell Creek, figuring it was Avisaurus.

Turned out to be Baptornis! The guy swears up and down that it was from H.C. (the only place he collects). It has a very different preservation; creamy white instead of the typical mahogany of all the other H.C. bird teeth I have. Bear in mind that this is a flightless marine bird that couldn't enen walk on land. My best guess is that it came up a river.