Vertebrae Id. Help

SeaGee

Guest bmorefossil

i dont think i have ever seen a marine mammal vert that looked like that so im thinking land mammal, but being that I find verts from the miocene it could be marine mammal.

Hmm.. One thing I need to bring up, or so I think, is:

Are you sure it's fossilized? I can see some tan, meaning it may just have a lot of creek coloring. Is it light? Can you scratch it with a fingernail? When you take a match up to it, does it smell like burnt hair?

As far as ID, not a clue but I'm sure someone here knows

Turok1copy.png

Guest bmorefossil

Are you sure it's fossilized? I can see some tan, meaning it may just have a lot of creek coloring.

i see some brown but we get that all the time here in Maryland, and im sure he has determined that it was fossil

Guest bmorefossil

but one thing that i do notice is that on the ends of the processes the bone does not look fossilized

The whole feel of it, the grainniness(if it were found in a creek, it wouldn't likely be grainy, more smooth), the patchy tan, it just all seems unfossilized to me.. But we'll never know till he lets us know.

Turok1copy.png

It looks fossilized to me--that lighter part you see is sand in the bone pores, plus some reflection from the light. I would guess it's marine, but I have no clue what it is beyond that---very odd looking, must be rare--looks like some of the verts I find though. Either way, it's an awsome vert and it'd be interesting to see what it's from. I'd say definitly fossilized, but beyond that I'm stumped. A lot of that material that comes out of newly exposed formations (from dredging, storms, etc) in the ocean isn't sand and gravel-blasted like a lot of FL river pieces---it may have been buried for a great while and just recently exposed. The wear it does show is on the protruding portion, which is normal for pieces that come out of the water (tumble action). I would bet money it's a beach find.