Austin Hunting Sites

racevw112

How about sites in Austin? Anybody know of any? We have to head down there a weekend in March.

Thanks,

Lyle

How about sites in Austin? Anybody know of any? We have to head down there a weekend in March.

Thanks,

Lyle

I just recently moved to the Austin area and am also interested in sites around here. I've done some road cut hunting, and have found mostly shell casts. It seems like everthing is private property or L.C.R.A. property.

There's a concrete quarry in Austin that has AWSOME shark's teeth and tons of em. Get them while you can because they burn the matrix for concrete material and destroy the fossils. I'll try to get the info for y'all---remind me if I don't post in a couple days because I sometimes forget...even my own birthday! :faint:

Oh, and also, onion creek has a lot of fossils and arrowheads too I hear. Doing some research---I'm trying to fill out all the sites in Texas I can find on my google earth map--have about 20 so far and looking for more.

Oh, and also, onion creek has a lot of fossils and arrowheads too I hear. Doing some research---I'm trying to fill out all the sites in Texas I can find on my google earth map--have about 20 so far and looking for more.

That would be great. I have lots of time to kill, before W.B. trip.

Well I found it--North Texas Cement quarry in Midlothian, tx... 3 hrs away, so I don't know if that helps any.

Onion creek's gps coordinates are 30° 8'7.48"N 97°47'51.82"W ---it's close, so I suggest there. Good luck.

Well I found it--North Texas Cement quarry in Midlothian, tx... 3 hrs away, so I don't know if that helps any.

Onion creek's gps coordinates are 30° 8'7.48"N 97°47'51.82"W ---it's close, so I suggest there. Good luck.

Have you been to the quarry? What are the requirements for getting inside? Midlothian is not that far from where I live now, about 1 hour.

Thanks,

Lyle

I haven't been before, but know several people who did and were very happy when they left. You can go to austindiggers.com and ask Michelle about it because she's gone before. By the way, the site is just about arrowheads, but she does some fossil hunting too--around the Austin area.