Are There Members That Live In Montana

sharklover

Hey

It's perhaps early,but we need to make many preparation for next year.

I like to travel with some friends next year the Dinosaur trail in Montana.

See here http://www.makoshika.com/makoshika_dinosaur_museum_007.htm

We like to travel about five weeks to visit the museums and make a reconnaissance on the the route.

When we know more about places that be locaded in the region where we travel,and where we can surch ourselves for fossils,that would be tremendously.

Are there under the members some guy's wo can help us to info.?

Thank's in advance Cor :cool:

Have you got on the MONTANA web site: The Dinosaur Trail is great, be there seen that.

Even with all the Dino fossils up here we go down to Montana every change we get.

Hey Sharklover. I live in Montana, but so far have only hunted one site, actually 2 but one cannot be hunted anymore. Most of the land in Montana is private, and me being a newbie here, I dont know very many people. Probably why most folks go to Glendive. But im thinking that area has been purty well picked over. You need to find a rancher with a few thousand acres and get permission. Thats something I will be working on this year. Good luck

RB

Hey Sharklover. I live in Montana, but so far have only hunted one site, actually 2 but one cannot be hunted anymore. Most of the land in Montana is private, and me being a newbie here, I dont know very many people. Probably why most folks go to Glendive. But im thinking that area has been purty well picked over. You need to find a rancher with a few thousand acres and get permission. Thats something I will be working on this year. Good luck

RB

Hey RB

Thanks for your reply.

I hope that in the near future I can maybe do a appeal of the knowledge that you get this year :)

grampa dino witch places do you go when you are in Montana.?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cor

The book Roadside Geology of Montana / David Alt & Donald W. Hyndman

ISBN 0=87842=202=1

This book always goes to Montana with us every usefull.

We have being throught almost the whole state.

Fav. spot's would be hard to list them all, but we seem to go back to

Choteau, Malta. Fort Peck,Havre,Glendive,areas.

I'm in Montana also (here in Bozeman), going to grad school at MSU.

Bobby

I'm in Montana also (here in Bozeman), going to grad school at MSU.

Bobby

Hey Bobby

Nice that you live there.

I hope that you can help us on some useful info in due course.

When we come we like to go for some fossilhunt in the region.

Thank's in advance

Cor

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Bobby

Nice that you live there.

I hope that you can help us on some useful info in due course.

When we come we like to go for some fossilhunt in the region.

Thank's in advance

Cor

I am utterly and completely down for a trip to Montana,especially if it involves camping, getting filthy and hunting for fossils that are way beyond my level. I'll be ready for a tripthis summer if someone in Montana wants to play guide. I can bring beer.

If you like, i'll draw you a couple of maps for Montana collecting sites ....Pierre shale ammonites, etc. a few kms from Makoshika Park...and a site (HellCreek formation) for dino and other vertebrates north of Jordan. I don't want to get into legalities, etc. but no laws against 'looking'.

but....nothing compares to the sites north of the Montana border in Alberta, Canada . The Tyrell Museum of Paleontology is the best in the world and a couple hours drive away is Dinosaur Provincial Park. Both are situated in the badlands and the dino exposures are all around. Lots of camping, etc.

If you like, i'll draw you a couple of maps for Montana collecting sites ....Pierre shale ammonites, etc. a few kms from Makoshika Park...and a site (HellCreek formation) for dino and other vertebrates north of Jordan. I don't want to get into legalities, etc. but no laws against 'looking'.

but....nothing compares to the sites north of the Montana border in Alberta, Canada . The Tyrell Museum of Paleontology is the best in the world and a couple hours drive away is Dinosaur Provincial Park. Both are situated in the badlands and the dino exposures are all around. Lots of camping, etc.

Yes,It would be very helpful when you do this for us.

When you have them,give me coordinates from the places,so it's easyer to find them on google earth.

Thanks in advance Cor

• 4 weeks later...

I would agree that this side of the 49th is the best, even for dino finding :)

But Bone Digger wants to keep them all for himself. :D

We do have more than just great dinosaur stuff up here

we have great plant and mairne sites and more.

Last time down in Montana I found a book

Hell Creek, Montana America's Key to the Prehistoric Past

Lowell Dingus isbn o-312-31393-4

great read

I would like to go to Montana this spring or summer. One of my best friends has over 600 acres near Ennis. We went there when we were kids, and it's beautiful! Good trout fishing too. If anyone want's to help me check it out, or knows something about fossils in the area, let me know. There used to be an old homestead on the property, but my buddy's sister accidentally burned it down. (she's an Aggie) <_<

I would like to go to Montana this spring or summer. One of my best friends has over 600 acres near Ennis. We went there when we were kids, and it's beautiful! Good trout fishing too. If anyone want's to help me check it out, or knows something about fossils in the area, let me know. There used to be an old homestead on the property, but my buddy's sister accidentally burned it down. (she's an Aggie) <_<

Where around Ennis? If its anywhere near Ruby Valley, there's large garnets to be had (often just by screening through placer deposits).

Bobby

Where around Ennis? If its anywhere near Ruby Valley, there's large garnets to be had (often just by screening through placer deposits).

Bobby

As I recall it's right outside of town. It was definitely in a valley. There was a creek nearby we fished in. I believe the name was Odell creek. It's been almost 20 years, so if I got that right, my memory is doing well.