Unidentified Tooth?

Fat Boy

Last June I found two of these, and this past weekend I found 4 of them, and they all have the same basic shape. At first, I thought it was a bone fragment of some sort, but now I think it could be a tooth. I have no clue if it's an elasmobranch crushing type tooth, or a posterior heterodont tooth, or a fish bone (perhaps a haddock like fish otolith), but that was my guess. Anyone have an idea what these are?

Here are the four that I found this time.

gallery_907_308_41693.jpg

Close up of the larger one.

gallery_907_308_20542.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Last June I found two of these, and this past weekend I found 4 of them, and they all have the same basic shape. At first, I thought it was a bone fragment of some sort, but now I think it could be a tooth. I have no clue if it's an elasmobranch crushing type tooth, or a posterior heterodont tooth, or a fish bone (perhaps a haddock like fish otolith), but that was my guess. Anyone have an idea what these are?

im not exactly sure if they are teeth, the black one does look somewhat like a tooth but the others dont look like teeth, but maybe you can see something i cant. If there is anyone who would know this it would be me lol, all the things that I have posted and was told they were something else.

just looked at the pictures again and the top one looks like coprolite lol

I guess I need a better pic...coming. But also a description of what I see would help. The problem is that if it's a tooth, I'm not sure what is the root and what is the blade! So, for the purposes of this description, I'll just refer to the orientation of them...

The upper part of the object in the photo is rounded and bone like, almost like a root (that is what I initially thought that it was), and the bottom is very sharp, like a cutting edge, so I thought it might be a blade. But, what if the sharp edge is a blade and the dull edge is a crushing surface assuming it's a shark tooth? All of them are very similar in structure and follow this pattern although some are slightly different shaped. Again, I'll try and get a better pic. Last summer I had no idea what they were, so they sat in my unidentified section of that part of my collection. Now I've found several of them and it's getting to the point that I should try and get some info if possible. I have not found anything like this in the Miocene or Paleocene locations, nor have I found any at Myrtle Beach (the beach of many formations and eras). These things are very hard and durable...tooth like! :P

Kevin Wilson

I'd agree with bmore and say coprolite. Crack one open to be sure!

Here are the four that I found this time.

gallery_907_308_41693.jpg

Close up of the larger one.

gallery_907_308_20542.jpg

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Here are some more pics:

Looking down on the "sharp" edge

gallery_907_308_12277.jpg

Looking down on the round edge

gallery_907_308_29945.jpg

Other views and also comparing to the others

gallery_907_308_35308.jpg

gallery_907_308_29257.jpg

gallery_907_308_28860.jpg

I couldn't get the big one to stand up the same way, LOL

gallery_907_308_5635.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Here are some more pics:

im pretty sure that they are fish skulls, ill see if I can get an i.d.

or my favorite the tilly bone lol

ok yeah NOT POOP. first pictures were deceiving. internal cast of razor clam? i dont know. could be bony fish material of some sort

im pretty sure that they are fish skulls, ill see if I can get an i.d.

or my favorite the tilly bone lol

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Guest bmorefossil
ok yeah NOT POOP. first pictures were deceiving. internal cast of razor clam? i dont know. could be bony fish material of some sort

i was thinking bony fish, if you look at the large one you see where it is broken showing the hard red shiny insided.

well, don't crack one of those weird things in here! who knows what sort of gnawing little alien grossness would come out of something that looks like that... i'd be dancin' faster than i do when tj hits a liner at my shins.

I guess it's that I live in florida, but they look somewhat (missing the main part, of course) like a gator scute. Have any ancient/living creatures that had scutes that may have left these behind? Maybe some sort of a aquatic creature? Just me nickel and dime :P

Turok1copy.png

Guest bmorefossil
I guess it's that I live in florida, but they look somewhat (missing the main part, of course) like a gator scute. Have any ancient/living creatures that had scutes that may have left these behind? Maybe some sort of a aquatic creature? Just me nickel and dime :P

no i can see why you would say gator scute but these things are whole.

The more that I look at the Lee Creek teleost pages, I think I agree with you bmore, that they are fish bones, probably broken and worn preopercular pufferfish bones. Figure 5 on the first pufferfish fossils, if the fragile parts broke off, then a little surf wear...becomes mystery teeth?

I just dunno.

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
The more that I look at the Lee Creek teleost pages, I think I agree with you bmore, that they are fish bones, probably broken and worn preopercular pufferfish bones. Figure 5 on the first pufferfish fossils, if the fragile parts broke off, then a little surf wear...becomes mystery teeth?

I just dunno.

lol i guess so the only thing that is bothering me is that edge

I would say scutes of some sort--reptilian...I'm stumped--those are definitely not gator or armadillo...

Update: A very experienced collector in my area agrees with that they are bones, probably worn pufferfish, maybe Sphoeroides hyperostosus, preopercular bones. He said that he's collected some as well. That said, he's not 100% sure.

I keep examining them trying determine if they really are just bivalve internal molds, but they are much different than any other internal molds that I've found. They're bone like, almost with an enamel like coating on some of them. Still, I can't rule anything out yet. Also, I looked all over that area for shells that might have made such a mold which I would think would be fairly common since there are so many other shell species that are well preserved, and I didn't find any.

This weekend I'm going to clean off some of the matrix that's still stuck to the larger one and maybe that will give me more of a clue. Pics to come. This could be delayed if I decide to go collecting instead :P

Thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it very much!

Kevin Wilson

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the verdict is in. I received lot's of good input and done a ton of web searching and finally found out what these are. They are not teeth at all, nor are they internal bivalve molds. They are fish bones, specifically, the otoliths of Melanogrammus conjunctus. Most of the otolith info that I've found led me to believe that most if not all of them were way to small to be these fossils. But this species has otoliths that can exceed 6 cm.! OK, admittedly I'm 99% sure now, because I haven't compared my fossils to actual specimens, only web photos, but what I've seen has pretty much convinced me. Here was the latest website that turned the light bulb on for me:

Click here and look on the left side, pictured alongside some shark fossils...

Kevin Wilson