Paleozoic Shark

Archimedes

The Upper Mississippian Period Shark Spine, Ctenacanthus, is almost 8” long, and I found between my feet while eating lunch. The large end was sticking out of a limestone block, luckily a soft carbonate layer was covering the spine and the hard limestone atop was easily removed with a chisel at my shop.

While out collecting, have you every looked between your feet while eating lunch and found a really wonderful fossil. This is not the first time I have made a an important lunch time find.

post-385-1231201037_thumb.jpg post-385-1231201046_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
The Upper Mississippian Period Shark Spine, Ctenacanthus, is almost 8” long, and I found between my feet while eating lunch. The large end was sticking out of a limestone block, luckily a soft carbonate layer was covering the spine and the hard limestone atop was easily removed with a chisel at my shop.

While out collecting, have you every looked between your feet while eating lunch and found a really wonderful fossil. This is not the first time I have made a an important lunch time find.

wow would you look at that! Well I have done this a few times but I was not eating, when you got to go you got to go :P:P . I have found 3 megs doing this over the years.

awsome find

shweet!

That's really cool. I found a doobie once that way, but gave it away to a friend at the dorm... He gave me a six-pack so it was an even trade. :o

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

post-385-1231201037_thumb.jpg post-385-1231201046_thumb.jpg

OK, next time I'm in Alabama, I'm scheduling my lunch break with you!

Nice find! ;)

Kevin Wilson

Thats purdy dang neat. I know nothing of sharks. Can I ask where that spine would have been located on a shark?

Here are a couple of photos of myself, (big scary guy in the middle) my son, (on the right) and my buddy Dave having lunch on a log in New Zealand by the ocean. I am holding a rock with a crab carapce in the first photo that I found a hundred yards back or so. But apon leaving, I got up, walked the 4 or 5 steps to the waves and picked up a nice little rock that had another even nicer crab in it!!! We sat there for about 45 minutes letting the tide get lower. Any sooner and I would not have found it.

RB

post-171-1231344660_thumb.jpg

post-171-1231344808_thumb.jpg